Storing Fermented Beer Safely

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry if this is a repost or a stupid question but i couldn't find anything with the search function.

I want to be able to store my beer ready to go until i have a free keg, and I was wondering how would be the safest way to do this?
Can i safely store the uncarbonated fermented beer in a jerry in the fridge?
If so how long would it keep?
I am only looking to store maybe 3 kegs worth so i could buy more kegs but i would prefer not to if possible.

Or is there something i should do or add to the beer to keep it?

Brendan

I would only be storing fermented beer in a keg or bottles...

too much of a risk infection and oxydisation when transfering between vessels...

I have two APAs in secondary jerrys sitting on my laundry floor at room temp with gladwrap - been there for 2 weeks now. They're beginning to make me nervous. :D I need more kegs!

Resist the urge to sample them out of the tap as it sucks air in.

You can just store it in the fermenter till you have a spare keg. My kegs are full most of the time so sometime my beer can sit in the fermenter for 3 weeks. I bring the temperaure right down though.

Buuut... more kegs will be more convenient :)

Thanks Guys,
Other than LHBS can anyone recommend a good (cheaper) supplier for some more kegs?

Cheers

How long are you looking to keep them in total?

If you transfer to a jerrycan part way through ferment and leave it with the lid loose until it reaches final gravity. Then tighten the lid and store in the fridge. This is plain and simply lagering. The longer you leave it the clearer it will get the flavour should become cleaner. Many people prefer to do this but don't have the time or patience. Many traditional lagers are lagered for many months at a time 90 days for pilsener urquell from memory and possibly 6 months for the oktoberfest beers.

I suggest putting it into the jerrycan closeish to the end of ferment is so that the continued fermentation keeps the wort saturated in CO2 and avoids picking up much oxygen during transfer.

Black labb if im using standard ale yeast will this still be ok at refrig temp or will this shut down the ferment?

Brendan

Only put it in the fridge once fermenting has finished + a few days. Leave it out in the vessel with the lid loose to release co2

Can i safely store the uncarbonated fermented beer in a jerry in the fridge?
If so how long would it keep?

Brendan

Yes you can. I have had to do it 4 times now. All have been fine and one of them was in there for 10 weeks. Just the usual precautions re cleanliness.
I filled them to the brim though. Was more worried about headspace than when I am cubing hot wort.

I got the idea from Bribie.

here I have said it before and done it since.

Next time it might be worth looking at your supply chain so you only make beer you can serve, or you intend to lager purposefully, or you drink quicker!
But a month in secondary sounds fine.
That's the upside of No Chilling for me. I can stockpile wort but control beer production to suit needs.

evilBay or LHBS/site sponsors are still your best bet for extra cornies, though they do pop up here too.

oxidation will be the biggest killer of these beers, secondary to the chance of an infection arising from too many transfers IMO.

if push came to shove and i had to do this, I'd follow my normal fermentation regime, after crash chilling for 1 week I'd transfer to the jerry with minimal oxygen uptake (purged the jerry with CO2) and seal it up with the least head space as possible.

Ideally i wouldn't kick off fermentation on a batch (as i no chill) until i knew a keg was going to blow so it can go direct into a keg.

oxidation will be the biggest killer of these beers, secondary to the chance of an infection arising from too many transfers IMO.

if push came to shove and i had to do this, I'd follow my normal fermentation regime, after crash chilling for 1 week I'd transfer to the jerry with minimal oxygen uptake (purged the jerry with CO2) and seal it up with the least head space as possible.

Ideally i wouldn't kick off fermentation on a batch (as i no chill) until i knew a keg was going to blow so it can go direct into a keg.

How do you purge a jerry with CO2?

Back