Storing Dme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianh

Reaction score
Hi

I buy my malt extract in 20kg bags. Currently I put half in an air tight container then then other half goes into sealable plastic bags (about 1kg). When I have used these I put the other half in plastic bags.

Thinking that's a lot of stuffing around, just wondering how other brewers handle bulk malt extract.

How much moisture does it pick up if you store it and weigh it just using a sealed container.

Thanks

Ian

i store dme in a air-tight container with a couple of silica gel sashets, as i only use it for starters 5 kg almost lasts me for year without any caking.

Where abouts are you buying the 20kg bags of DME from Ian ?

I buy mine in 20kg bags as well, all I do is roll the top of the bag over and sit something on top of it to stop it from opening up. I used to store it in 4L tubs, but decided it was too much stuffing around. After 3-4 months just stored in the bag (obviously in a cool dry place) I've not noticed any difference at all

I have found that it can seep through plastics and make the outside sticky. I keep it in it's original bag, with a clip on the open end. I put the whole bag in a tub with a damp rid container in there too. This works for me, but I'm only using 5kg bags and they last me ages.

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I'll get another air-tight container and split between the two. Makes it easier as storage and weighing are done in different places..

Where do you get 5kg bags. My local does 20kg bags but that is a bit big for the quantity I brew in a year.

Where do you get 5kg bags. My local does 20kg bags but that is a bit big for the quantity I brew in a year.
I get mine from Grain and Grape.

Back