Storing Bulk Buy Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the standard steel garbage bin is what i use

There's 60L Willow rubbish bins at Bunnings that I use. Can also use the smaller green plastic bins.

I just store them in the bags they come in.

Twist them up once opened and secure with cable tie or leccy tape between uses.

Many cats about our neighbourhood, no rodent issues. YMMV.

Cheers,
D80

The 25L handy pails at Bunnings (round and white) store half a bag quite snugly.
Bit easier to handle than a full bag.

I used to keep most of it in handi-pals, 2 x handi pal per 25kg bag. Also some spec malt, but the stuff I still use heaps of I've got in 10L buckets. Like a smaller handi-pal. (ex yogurt ones)

The last year or so I've had a large old 700L chest freezer that I was going to convert into a kegerator, but I cannot source a part I need to make it run efficiently again. Ended up leaving it unplugged using it to drop all the grain bags in. I just fold the top over and drop a 10L bucket ontop to stop air circulation. I leave the drain hole open and put some flyscreen over it to stop nasties getting in. Shut the freezer top and nothing is getting in. And the big hit of grain smell when you open it is awesome :lol:

QldKev

I use the 25L handy pails from bunnings, 2 buckets per bag, stack easily and havent had any rodent issues.

I just store them in the bags they come in.

Twist them up once opened and secure with cable tie or leccy tape between uses.

Many cats about our neighbourhood, no rodent issues. YMMV.

Cheers,
D80

I used to do that, thinking it would be fine. Got away with it for about 6 months. Eventually the mice came though. Put them in plastic bins, but the mice werent fooled, they knew grain was in there and proceeded to chew through the plastic! They never quite made it through, I laid posion and havent had an issue since. Next time I'd probably go steel bins though

If you are worried about mice (like me) and you cat is a lazy fucker, People In Plastic in Archerfield have a variety of solutions.

I used 60L fermenter style containers with screw on lids (obviously no holes drilled). Grain is fresh and rodent free!

all sorts of interesting plastic drums at Tilkey
they also have new cubes for a good price

those 20L white handy pails with lid are $9 new cubes are $8

http://www.tilkey.com.au/

BRISBANE SALES: 40 Norbury St, Coopers Plains Qld Australia 4108

WARWICK SALES: 103 Alexandra Drv, Warwick Qld Australia 4370

may not be as cheap as ebay but they always have stock

If you are worried about mice (like me) and you cat is a lazy fucker, People In Plastic in Archerfield have a variety of solutions.

I used 60L fermenter style containers with screw on lids (obviously no holes drilled). Grain is fresh and rodent free!

People in Plastic also have new 25lt cubes for under $5. They are not suitable for no chill but great for storage.

2 needed per 5kg sack of grain and you can stack them up to save space.

If you have mice then don't feed the cat until the mice have gone. a cat with a full stomach is useless as a mouser :lol:

I buy those storage bins from cheap as chips/golo etc, the 50 litre size I recon is good for 25 kgs of grain and they stack on top of each other.

Mice, if not eaten by a cat or a snake would have to be baited :D

Cheers

Those 55L plastic containers from hardware stores or Big W are good coz ya can stack them and some even have wheels which is bitchin... mouse proof too!

Those 55L plastic containers from hardware stores or Big W are good coz ya can stack them and some even have wheels which is bitchin... mouse proof too!

I got the cheap ones from The Warehouse when I first started. I could put an entire 25kg bag in one, sack and all. I though excellent.

They were all broken within 6 months :( Who would have though their products could have been cheap quality :lol:

I got the cheap ones from The Warehouse when I first started. I could put an entire 25kg bag in one, sack and all. I though excellent.

They were all broken within 6 months :( Who would have though their products could have been cheap quality :lol:

I've broken a bunch of them too, and had rats chew through plenty of 20L handy pails as well. Bunnings don't sell 25L ones here, only 20L.

I've broken a bunch of them too, and had rats chew through plenty of 20L handy pails as well. Bunnings don't sell 25L ones here, only 20L.

The Handi-pals here are 20L too. You can just squeeze a bag into 2 of them.

QldKev

I bought an old fridge from ebay for $2, layed it on its side and I now have a steel storage unit for all my grain.

Takes up a bit of space in the garage but there is no way any rats or mice are going to get inside.

I use 200l drums from work, hold about 4 bags in them! ;)

I found some big black plastic bin's from a dollar shop after a mice problem. I fit 3 sacks in each. Iv'e had them for about 4 months now and no problems at all. They even have wheels so I just roll them out when I want grain.
By the way some of my grain is getting on 1 year old now and half that time it's been left in the sack only with electrical tape to seal them and the grain is still really fresh to my taste, I mean not soft at all but nice,dry and crunchy.

Back