Storing Blank Slants.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
Like the title suggests, I've made up more slants than I need right now. Does anyone know how well they store?
They should keep for a while if sterile I'm guessing, but how long? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Also, should I keep 'em in the fridge?
Thanks.

Thanks, I'll put 'em in the fridge and see how they go I guess.
But do remember that's its important that the media retains the liquid in it
It should if it's sealed properly. By liquid, do you mean the condensation? I always have a few drops of water sitting on top of the gel from the condensation. (This is where most of the yeast gorws I've found)

whack em in the fridge MCT they will be fine till you need them

Franko

I suppose you'll notice stuff growing on them if they go "off" wouldn't you?

It can be a good check of just how sterile your slants are. They will dry out over time though so you can;t keep them forever. The agar will dry out and the tube will fill with condensation (at least that's what happened to the blank slants I put ion the back of the fridge and forgot about). Re-melting them should re-dissolve the agar. I'm just about to re pressure cook then to freshen them up as I need to get some new strains into my yeast bank and I need the slants.

Cheers
Dave

I'm gonna make my first slants next week too! How exciting!

All this talk of slanting got me excited too, so I ordered some gear earlier this week.
Just need to source a pressure cooker and some agar and I'm good to go :D .

Just need to source a pressure cooker and some agar and I'm good to go :D .

Well you can get away without a pressure cooker. I just use a big pot (~ 15 ltrs that I got at the discount shop for $14 ) with a weight on lid to increase the pressure.

I also sterilise wort this way to keep for yeast starters.

I know it does not fit the "correct" criterea in terms of pressure and temperature for sterilisation (123C for 15mins) but you can get away with lower temps if you do it for longer. I do mine for about 45 mins just to be sure, and have not had any go off on me yet.

(Note I store the wort in stubbies so I would definitely know if any had gone wrong).

What sort of pressure/temperature does a microwave bottle steriliser get to ..ahh ... only 100C.

And BTW - don't forget the yeast slant registry on the wiki. linky link

I don't suppose there's any authorities on the subject that can answer how long they will store? I store my yeast under sterile distilled water, and have about 40 little vials full of pressure cooked distilled water ready to take a drop of yeast. I've also got about 40 of some nutritious wort I used to wake them up. I've been out of the yeast culturing thing for a while, and they mustve been in the back of my fridge at least 6 months. I wonder if theyll still be sterile...

I don't suppose there's any authorities on the subject that can answer how long they will store? I store my yeast under sterile distilled water, and have about 40 little vials full of pressure cooked distilled water ready to take a drop of yeast. I've also got about 40 of some nutritious wort I used to wake them up. I've been out of the yeast culturing thing for a while, and they mustve been in the back of my fridge at least 6 months. I wonder if theyll still be sterile...

They should all still be good but for peace of mind it might be better to give them a quick blast in the pressure cooker just in case.

Easy way to see would be to lift one of the bottles of wort out and leave it (still sealed) at room temp for a few days. See if it starts to bubble...

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back