Storing Beer In A Keg For Long Periods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muga

Reaction score
Just interested in what the best way would be to store a keg full of beer to let it age?

-Leave it in the fridge with the gas on.
-Leave it out of the fridge with gas on.
-Leave it in the fridge with no gas on.
-Leave it out of the fridge with no gas on.
-Slightly gas and leave in fridge.
-Slightly gas and leave out of fridge.
-Don't age in keg at all.

I have no idea what or how you go about it, would like to have my beer aged slittle more before I drink it as my first keg I put down tastes very young.

Back in my kit days I always aged my kegs a few months , I have several , too many to age them all in the fridge.

I uesd to gas them up and leave them in a cool place in the house , worked for me.

Batz

muga, just purge the oxygen from the keg with CO2 and then store in a cool place.
If you know that your keg is not leaking gas you can store it for some time. I have done this during the colder months and have had no problems.

C&B
TDA

Ideally, if you've got room in your fridge keep gassed and leave in the fridge. Assuming you've already carbonated leave it pressured at the balanced level for the temperature of your fridge. This will ensure your beer won't end up either flat or over-carbonated. (At 3 degrees, 2.5X carbonation, you need 80kPa).

Alternatively leave in a cool place using the same method as above (will be a higher pressure in the keg of course).

tony

Thanks for the information guys,
I decided to purge the oxygen and store in a cool place.

I now need t go buy some more kegs to be able to let them age for a month or two otherwise I'll just end up drinking it all. :D

Back