Storage And Weavils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFeast

Reaction score
Guys,

Have had a weavil problem with my grain. They're getting into my esky (or coming along with the bag).
What do you use to store your grain in?

cheers for the advice

on the ground in my spare room, not seen one weevil in 1.5 years that I have been brewing all grain. I do use surface spray around the perimeter of the room though

Container purged with C02.
Yep that will fix them or freeze the buggers (pun), summer is bad for bugs and grain. I store all my base malts and adjuncts in a coolroom and have no problems.
You will find they are probably not weevils but some sort of rice bug/beetle.
Nev

If you have a good sized C02 tank, keeping your bulk grain in large plastic drums with a barb to purge with and PRV is golden. Death to them all!

I had a bag of rice hull's that were just in a sack without plastic and it has heaps of these things that turn into moths but I sealed it in a bucket and they are trapped! All my base malt is in the original sacks and I have no problems with them. I just make sure I seal them good after Iv'e opened them. All my spec malt is vac packed.

Get some gal bins, just like the old rubbish bins we used to have and keep the grain bags inside sealed up. :beerbang:

I had a bag of rice hull's that were just in a sack without plastic and it has heaps of these things that turn into moths but I sealed it in a bucket and they are trapped! All my base malt is in the original sacks and I have no problems with them. I just make sure I seal them good after Iv'e opened them. All my spec malt is vac packed.
Sounds like pantry moths, aka Indian meal moths. Once you've got them, the little bastards will get into any unsealed grains, spices and nuts that they can find. Let them breed and you end up with maggoty-looking caterpillars climbing your walls (they have a thing for pupating near the ceiling).

Nuke the bucket from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

CO2 works however if you don't totally saturate the air pockets within the grain some will survive then come back and multiply.

I lost a batch of wheat and unmalted barley to weevils - fortunately the containers were separate from all my other bagged grain.

I keep all my grain in an old fridge (bought off ebay for $1) laying on its side. It takes up a fair bit of room, however it seals great. No sign of any rodents or bugs.

Latest posts

Back