Stopping/restarting A Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damien13

Reaction score
Howdy Peeps...

Quick question... the last two brews I have done have been interupted... One with a Date night last night (was definately worth stopping a boil!) and the other with something I can't quite recall.

My question is, if you are doing a pretty stock standard all grain 1 hr boil, would stopping it after 30 minutes, chucking a lid on your kettle, getting your lovely lady drunk at dinner, coming home, taking care of business, THEN restarting the boil have a great deal of effect on much.
Obviously, having boiling hot wort slowly cooling would add some bitterness, but apart from bitterness concerns is there much I need to worry about?

Interested to hear your thoughts... and please keep hilarious jokes about premature ejacu-hopping to a minimum...

Actually, screw it.. go crazy, I love a laugh on this forum... too serious sometimes!

Depends how cool it gets (for spoilage concerns). Yes you would kill the bacteria when it gets back to a boil, but the quality of the wort could be compromised if something goes to work on it. Also you would have to worry about DMS developing. Would need a serious vigorous boil upon return to drive it off.

After you've taken care of business, don't use your old feller to stir it... or you will end up with a yeast infection

QldKev

After you've taken care of business, don't use your old feller to stir it... or you will end up with a yeast infection

QldKev

Yesssssss was waiting for a zinger... thanks kev ;)

Might be a bit fishy if it sat on 69 for too long.

Edit: Come to think of it, it could taste a bit sour. And make sure you give it a good hard pump when getting back up to the boil.

Howdy Peeps...

Quick question... the last two brews I have done have been interupted... One with a Date night last night (was definately worth stopping a boil!) and the other with something I can't quite recall.

My question is, if you are doing a pretty stock standard all grain 1 hr boil, would stopping it after 30 minutes, chucking a lid on your kettle, getting your lovely lady drunk at dinner, coming home, taking care of business, THEN restarting the boil have a great deal of effect on much.
Obviously, having boiling hot wort slowly cooling would add some bitterness, but apart from bitterness concerns is there much I need to worry about?

Interested to hear your thoughts... and please keep hilarious jokes about premature ejacu-hopping to a minimum...

Actually, screw it.. go crazy, I love a laugh on this forum... too serious sometimes!

the melanoidin development path way of flavour will be different than if you had just continued on in one boil. As for the best result in the end flavour you would have to brew the same batch each way and try a taste test.

I don't think there will be a huge change if you have only added your bittering additions. Lets face it the IBU's between a 60 min and 90 min addition is not all that great. Also since you have already boiled it, there will no longer be any conversion taking place.

QldKev

The bigger issue at play here, beside your appalling lack of prioritization, is the added dimension to the whole 'chill / no chill' debate.

The bigger issue at play here, beside your appalling lack of prioritization, is the added dimension to the whole 'chill / no chill' debate.

Hmmmm yeah, I was thinking the same thing... Perhaps the name for this beer will be 5th element Chrissie Ale.

Back