Stopping Fermentation Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
Are there any major issues with stopping a kit Coopers PA early. The Gravity has dropped from 1044 - 1018 over 4 days. It has been sitting in cool water. I used US-05 yeast.

I have promised this beer to a freind visiting and need to put it into kegs this morning before I am away fro a few days, it has taken a bit a longer to get it on and going than I had planned.

I understand taste etc may be compromised, but if it will not ruin the beer per se` then I might just have to do it.

I'd leave it in the fermenter then keg it at the last minute and force carb it using the Ross method (search and you should find it).

Are there any major issues with stopping a kit Coopers PA early. The Gravity has dropped from 1044 - 1018 over 4 days. It has been sitting in cool water. I used US-05 yeast.

I have promised this beer to a freind visiting and need to put it into kegs this morning before I am away fro a few days, it has taken a bit a longer to get it on and going than I had planned.

I understand taste etc may be compromised, but if it will not ruin the beer per se` then I might just have to do it.

At best, the beer will probably taste horrible. That's a pretty major issue in my eyes. What do you consider ruined?

Obviously if you were bottling, this would be a bad idea for other reasons (big bada boom). I know you're not but it's worth pointing out a hundred times in case somebody else reads and gets the idea that this is good practice.

I'd rather disappoint my friend and buy them a case of something good than take them a kit that was kegged too early.

keg it and keep it ferment temperature. when you get back it will be around the carbonation level you will want. then transfer to drinking keg and adjust carbonation by releasing or increasing pressure.

keg it and keep it ferment temperature. when you get back it will be around the carbonation level you will want. then transfer to drinking keg and adjust carbonation by releasing or increasing pressure.

+1

I've done this before with great results. You don't even need to carb it.

Kegs are just pressurised fermenters - they won't blow, they have a valve. Worst case is it will be over carbed and a bit bitey. Get your mate to let the pressure out every day or two.

I dont get this at all....

If you have to put it into another keg to drink from when you get back, why not just wait until you get back and then keg it? The beer will be finished and therefore in its best condition and likelihood to be drinkable and you've got one less keg to clean. Too much rooting around...

Buy mate a box of beer to drink while youre gone, apologise and say the keg will ba a few days late.

spunding

it saves on gas
by the time the ferment is finished the beer is ready to drink.
no priming or forced carbonation
you don't have to transfer to another keg. but it is a good idea so the new keg has very little sediment

spunding

it saves on gas
by the time the ferment is finished the beer is ready to drink.
no priming or forced carbonation
you don't have to transfer to another keg. but it is a good idea so the new keg has very little sediment

Yeah i get that, but i dont see how it benefits the OP in this particular circumstance. If you were deliberately doing this maybe, but the time it would take to transfer to a keg from primary and do it once, would be less time and less dicking around with an extra process when he is already short of time.
Wait till you get back, transfer finished beer to keg, force carbonate and drink with your mate.

Being a coopers Pale I cant see a problem with letting finish ferment in first keg then when hes back chill for 24hrs then send to drinking keg. Obviously not an ideal way to present a beer but better than stopping before fully fermented and kegging which is not good. Pretty much 3 options as stated above 1. let finish then crash and fast carb it, 2 finish ferment in keg thern rekeg, 3. Tell ya mate to bring a carton whilst yours finishes off. Is it a can kit or FWK? If its a can kit go option 3.

cheers

Back