Stopped Bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
am not sure if its brewed or not ....the temp has been on 16 to 18 last nite and am wondering if its to low... I heard that there is a heater you can put in the beer to keep it warmer is that still available?
my sg reading started at 1042 and is now 1051 does that sound right

That does not sound right.
The sg should be going down.

The yeast could RS...

Check air lock is sealed by pressing in fermenter and holding in. Airlock level should not return to level with sides pushed in. If it does - then tighten lid.

Also, may have to open it up and check for any bubbles/foaming on the wort. There should be some foam that you can see without removing the lid. If so , this is good. If not, yeast and or aeration of wort can be crap.

If no foam i woyuld add more yeast and stir aerate really well and reseal checking that fermenter is air tight.

Hope this helps

ooops read the hydrometer wrong....its gone up to 1012.... I dont want to bottle it till weekend and today is wed....is that to long to wait?
thanx for answering ken
:)

G'day and welcome hellbent. Sounds like everything is fine, especially if you are able to maintain 18 degrees or thereabouts. Just leave it sit for a few more days as you'll probably get a bit more of a drop in gravity out of it yet. Leaving your wort particularly at those relatively cool temps won't hurt it, in fact it will improve it up to a point. If you haven't got an extra fermenter to rack into then I'd reccommend leaving it up to two weeks in primary whilever the temps are that reasonable. If things warm up much above 24 and your gravity is 1010 or under then I'd probably bottle. John Palmer reccommends in his book (www.howtobrew.com) to leave in primary at reasonable temps for about a week after you think it has finished fermenting if you aren't racking to help clear the beer and to let your yeast clean itself up. Helps minimise that 'homebrewy' flavour. It is better again if you can rack, but don't panic too much in what I understand of your case unless it gets hot, or unless it is past the 2 week stage for a standard ale kit.

Hope that helps and good luck,

Shawn.

Well said Gough. Chris White of White Labs strongly recommends leaving the beer in the primary for at least two weeks. All sorts of good things are happening in a seemingly inactive fermenter. In winter you can easily leave it in the primary for four weeks. After the ferment is over, put the fermenter in a nice cold part of the house/laundry/shed to encourage even more yeast to drop

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back