Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanta

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

I can across this recipe and felt the need to share it on this website and also ask some questions in regards to it.

Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Light Extract (3.5 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
1.50 kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract (4.2 EBC) Extract 50.00 %
10.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (10 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
20.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale US05 Yeast-Ale

Bring
4L of water and approx 520g of the light extract to the boil. Add 10g Galaxy hops, after 10 minutes add another 15g Galaxy hops, after another 10 minutes take off the heat and add the final 20g Galaxy Hops. I usually put the lid on the pot for the last 2 minutes so that the steam sterilizes the lid.

While this is boiling add a few litres of water to the fermenter and then the rest of the malt extract, stir thoroughly. Cool the pot in a sink of cold water and then add to the fermenter (I don't strain the hops out). Top up to 23L. Pitch the yeast and ferment at 18C. I bottled after 3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this recipe in mind I would like to try to add some grain to this bill can anyone recommend anything or any alterations that you believe might be worth while?

cheers

Have you tried it without changing anything? I'm going to give this one a go I reckon as I have just started dabbling with extracts

No sorry I haven't yet tried it out. I am meaning too once my current brew gets bottled. I have only just started mixing grain and hops with malt extract so was rather interested if there could be any additional improvements to the recipe. If anything at the moment I might just up the Galaxy hops during the later stages.

Good luck with the brew and I will be interested to hear how it turns out :kooi:

Definitely up the hops in the later stages & consider dry hopping if you want it to be closer to the commercial. Have a search of the forums for the all grain clone recipes, because the hopping regimes should be no different for an extract brew.
Also, if you haven't already bought your hops, get flowers instead of pellets for this brew. Better aroma profile (in my opinion) :beer:

Liam_snorkel said:
Definitely up the hops in the later stages & consider dry hopping if you want it to be closer to the commercial. Have a search of the forums for the all grain clone recipes, because the hopping regimes should be no different for an extract brew.
Also, if you haven't already bought your hops, get flowers instead of pellets for this brew. Better aroma profile (in my opinion) :beer:
Excellent advice thanks Liam!

Would you advise using the flowers in the boil as well as the dry hop or use pellets for the boil and flowers for the dry hop. I was thinking of about 80grams of Galaxy as a Dry hop. I'm a bit of a Hop head haha.

cheers again

Shanta said:
Hello fellow brewers!

I can across this recipe and felt the need to share it on this website and also ask some questions in regards to it.

Recipe: 109 Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
I thought this recipe looked quite familiar, then realised its my recipe ripped off from here http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10660#p108732 .

Anyhow Shanta, I would suggest you might like to give it a go as is, you will have seen it rates pretty well in this form. I've moved to all-grain now but before that I was using extracts/kits with spec malt and hops, a bit like what you've just moved into and wouldn't consider making a brew without a good whack of each but this one doesn't really need any extra grain as the wheat extract adds some body/flavour that you don't get from normal malt extract.

I've found the best way to use Galaxy without having a beer that needs to go sit in the naughty corner for 5 weeks, is to use a lot of galaxy late - eliminate the long boil additions, and for God's sake, if you feel you must dry hop with the stuff, do it for very short periods of time, like 24 hours and then get it the hell out or your beer will taste like a bowl of silage.

The recipe in the OP does exactly this. I wouldn't mess with it except to say that the dry hop IMO would be best popped in there at FG and left for 24 hours before bottling. Galaxy has a bad habit of giving passionfruit initially, and banana skins soon after.

Fair enough. I've had success adding Galaxy dry to the fermenter during cold crash, which for me is only a couple of days, then transfer to keg.

It definitely goes grassy if you dry hop into the keg and leave it in there. (which isn't an option/problem for bottlers)

I thought pellets actually had a stronger aroma profile and were thus better suited for dry hopping?

I made this beer 2 weeks ago. It's sitting in the keg at the moment carbonating.
I wanted it a little stronger in flavour and alcohol so made it to 20L.
I'm drinking it this weekend at a buck's so i'll let you know how it goes.

the general consensus from threads I've read is pellets for stability & predictability in bittering and flavour profile, flowers for better & less astringent aroma profile. Anecdotally (ie in my limited experience) the bitterness form flowers is less harsh.

Anecdotally again, in one of the S&W recipe threads (can't find it at the moment) someone said they had brewed a clone of this beer several times with pellets and also flowers, and the pellet brews just weren't quite as good.

gsouth said:
I made this beer 2 weeks ago. It's sitting in the keg at the moment carbonating.
I wanted it a little stronger in flavour and alcohol so made it to 20L.
I'm drinking it this weekend at a buck's so i'll let you know how it goes.
Awesome really interested to hear how it goes, was it a exact copy from the recipe stated above or did you make some alterations?

Shanta said:
Awesome really interested to hear how it goes, was it a exact copy from the recipe stated above or did you make some alterations?
It was pretty much exactly the same however because i was only making 20L and didnt have time to wait for the wort to cool i boiled 2L of water and added around 230g light extract. Pretty much just halved the boil.
Fermented for 2 weeks and it was done.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Galaxy = grass when dry hopped. I did it once, never again.

Whereas I love it at 10minutes - lots of passionfruit.
are you omitting the dry hop addition

or adding 35 g at 10 minutes

Rod said:
are you omitting the dry hop addition

or adding 35 g at 10 minutes
Check you IBUs from the 35g at 10 minutes and whether that's in line with your tastes. IIRC - S&W is only abut the low 20's IBU, so not likely to increase the 10 minute addition by all that much.

Alternatively, swap the dry hopped Galaxy for Dry hopped something else (citra, cascade, amarillo, simcoe are all fruity - though Citra does give passionfruit (similar to galaxy).

Mosaic I've been told is similar to citra and galaxy (ie passionfruit), but I'm not sure of its dry hopping credentials as I've not (yet) used it - though I will once I'm brewing again.

EEs ansa qwestchun?

Goomba

I have made 3 brews very simmilar to this recipe using Galaxy and it is a very powerful hop, All mine have turned out more bitter than i wanted and I have cut the hops back each time. The last recipe I cooled to 26deg within about 6 minutes of flame out.
I always use flowers or plugs if possible. I would cut the 20 minute adition back to 8 if you are using flowers.

Shanta said:
Awesome really interested to hear how it goes
OK, tasted it last night to check the carbonation and i am super happy with it! Bloody delicious if you ask me. Quite a bit of hop flavour and aroma. Its great made to 20L but i think would be equally delicious made to 23L

Hey guys.
I'm going to have a go at making something similar to this tonight or on the weekend. it's not going to be a clone persay but will use galaxy hops and go close imo.
My question is on the hop additions. I'm aiming for IBU of mid to low 20's using similar boil times as above and final addition of about 1g per litre. I'm using pellets.
My question is when to add the last addition.
You all say dry hoping is bad with these hops. So should it be best to add them at:
1. Flameout.
2. When in the fermenter at start of fermentation.
3. As my brew shop suggested, add to the fermenter after peak of fermentation and prior to bottling.
Vote now!
Also, will adding all hops from the break add any unwanted or adverse tastes. I've never really bothered with separating in the past with no problems but never used galaxy hops before.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back