Stone And Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must remember to search before posting!! Following AG recipe courtesy of sydneybrewer.

Recipe: STONE AND WOOD PACIFIC ALE
Style: 6B-Light Hybrid Beer-Blonde Ale

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 26.50 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 23.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG
Expected OG: 1.045 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG
Expected ABV: 4.5 %
Expected ABW: 3.6 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 25.9
Expected Color: 5.4 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Australian Ale Malt 2.500 kg (55.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian Vienna 1.000 kg (22.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian Wheat Malt 1.000 kg (22.2 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 20 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 10 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 20 g Loose Whole Hops used 5 Min From End
Australian Galaxy (13.0 % alpha) 40 g Loose Whole Hops used Dry-Hopped

Yeast: DCL US-05-SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins
Have to say this one came out pretty darn close. Subbed the vienna for pilsner malt as thats what I had on hand.

I'm pretty green to brewing, but what's with no 60 minute hopping? Is this to keep the bitterness down?

I'm pretty green to brewing, but what's with no 60 minute hopping? Is this to keep the bitterness down?

Couple of reasons I think:

Galaxy gets harsh bitterness after 30 minutes.
Additions at 30 minutes switch up the flavour profiles of the hop, giving it more depth.
The beer is relatively low IBU and is high AA%, would be hard to do lots of late additions if the IBU were already stacked.

Cheers BDB

Couple of reasons I think:

Galaxy gets harsh bitterness after 30 minutes.
Additions at 30 minutes switch up the flavour profiles of the hop, giving it more depth.
The beer is relatively low IBU and is high AA%, would be hard to do lots of late additions if the IBU were already stacked.

Cheers BDB

Spot on - and to be honest, more so as this particular batch was no chilled so didn't want to go too far over as the bitterness would crash over the top of the flavour. I would bump the profile up 10g for the first of the additions if chilling - which I normally do. Going to do this again with an extra addition of 10g of Nelson hops at 5 min this weekend and the 10g extra at first addition and chill - will see how much difference it will make to the bitterness profile.

There is a couple recipes here for a S&W inspired beer, so i kinda did the average and was wondering if i should dry hop or not.

This beer is for my 40th and will be the only beer ready to drink so i need it to drinkable.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Shane

OG 1.049
IBU 23.9

Pale ale 60%
Wheat 40%

Galaxy flowers 20min 11.4 IBU
Galaxy flowers 10 min 6.8 IBU
Galaxy flowers 5min 5.7 IBU

i bought a six pack of this beer last nite from dans and would say it is one of the blandest beers ive had in a long time. dunno if it was an old pack but i certainly wont be rushing out to buy any more in a hurry. would be a great innofensive quaffer for a bbq or party but thats about it imo.

i bought a six pack of this beer last nite from dans and would say it is one of the blandest beers ive had in a long time. dunno if it was an old pack but i certainly wont be rushing out to buy any more in a hurry. would be a great innofensive quaffer for a bbq or party but thats about it imo.

Yes, i know what you mean. Got a six pack the other day and was also disappointing tho the beer was well in date. Having said that i kind of had the feeling that it could have potentially been so good if it was fresh hence why i thought i would give it a go.

Drinking one as we post :lol: What an awesome beer when fresh and properly handled.

20l
75%
60min mash 67c
60min boil 7.5
EBC18 IBU

Pale malt 3.7 kg
Rolled wheat 0.2kg
Wheat malt 0.2kg
Galaxy 13.4% 8g at 60min
Galaxy 13.4% 55g at end of ferment (leave for 4 days)

US05 ferment at 18c until ferment is complete

You won't regret this one.

Yes, i know what you mean. Got a six pack the other day and was also disappointing tho the beer was well in date. Having said that i kind of had the feeling that it could have potentially been so good if it was fresh hence why i thought i would give it a go.

Buying it from Dans Im not surprised.

Its such a hop I'm surprised even Dan's manage to kill off the flavour!

I find this a beer I can drink happily from the bottle, but find the fruitiness overpowering off tap.

Do like it, but can't drink it in any quantity.

Kev

Think my girlfriend had one of these at harts this afternoon at my suggestion. I enjoyed the couple sips I had and was sure it was this one as it was definately gallaxy in there. She quite liked it as well.

I enjoyed the FWK that I got from Ross more than the bottle I had at the Wheaty in Adelaide last week.

As I said in the hottest 100 thread (without noticing this one) - the one glass of this I had on tap tasted like beer+passionfruit syrup - and not in a good way. Sweet, sickly, way overpowering... really wasn't a good experience.

I am currently drinking my version of this most awesome beer.I agree with all that voted it to the top spot I love this beer, it definately gets more freshness in the keg and is way too easy to drink but even in a bottle (poured into a fresh glass with roused yeast) this is my favourite beer.. The guys that are saying it is not bitter enough or it is not this or that are not looking at it for what it is. It is an American Blonde Ale not an APA or AIPA, it is the "entry level" American craft beer designed for the people that drink the commercial stuff, to wheen them onto a great refreshing craft beer without scaring them away..and the Stone & Wood boys have done a great job at doing just that. My sister loves drinking her Carlton Dry by the "ton" but when I had a fridge full of Pacific Ale we actually drank the whole lot in one sit and she loved it,so this is a great beer not only for the beer "geeks" but for the masses to enjoy and start delving into the wonderful craft beer world.
The guys using Vienna malt steer away from that and use a grist of Pale malt, malted oats and flaked wheat and that will get you that nice creamy maltiness to back the Galaxy hops. For a 52 Litre batch I went 6.8kg pale,2.5kg flaked wheat and 1.0kg malted oats(1047 O.G). Mash in at 50deg C for 15mins, raise to 67deg C for 40mins, raise to 70deg C for 20mins then mash out.90 min boil. Hops are all Galaxy and I haven't got them the same as the real Pacific Ale but it is close especially the bittering hops, I feel more aroma/taste additions would be even better but I used: 15.5grams/60 mins, 25grams/20mins, 20grams/10mins aroma steep and finally 30grams/dry hop. Us-05 yeast at 18 deg C and it is a bloody nice beer.Adjust hop rate to your own taste buds and while not an exact clone the malt bill is giving a similar nose and taste and I have found this to be just as refreshing and enjoyable..

Must of been a bad batch this beer is not bland, I quite enjoy it.

Hi, just wanted to say that i worked in the pacific hotel for nearly 2 years and when we got this beer on tap there it was classed as a dessert beer as its fruity and sweet but not bitter at all. I never really liked it as its not like a normal beer.

I wouldnt mind having a go at cloning now i have seen this thread.

Cheers jake.

Back