Stock Take Help! Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
Ok guys I have a few Kits sitting about and i would love some advise etc on there best use.

I used to (before i came onto here) brew a coopers lager + DME/Gluecose/corn syrip mix

therfore i have 4 cans of coopers Lager!!!

Morgans:
Golden SAAZ Pilsener (i think Ken used it in one of his recipes so i bought it today)
Morgans unhoped Extra Pale Malt

Malt Shovel Brewing: 2 row lager

Kit yeasts , Calif Wyeast

Hallertau, Fuggles, Goldings 25g's each

I also have DME light, Dark, Corn syrip powder, Glucose powder etc etc

irish moss etc

I thought the morgans pale malt and Pilsner together made to 20-22Lts with Wyeast or kit yeast?

The Malt Shovel with dry Hallertau to 11Lts again Calif Wyeast or packet yeast, they say its a "lager yeast" on the pack.

What about the coopers Lager, wait for some grain for a part mash, or save the mash effort for a better kit?

maybe 2 coopers in one brew?

P.S opened a bottle of Stout i brewed..... the worst stout i have made, watery no head and not strong at all in flavour. The brew before it was great!!!! I must have forgoten somthing :) ya win some you loose some

hence i am sitting here drinking that batch of stout to free up the Grolsh bottles :)
:chug:

...... oh work tomorrow........ i will solve that problem when it arises hehe :chug:

Ben

Choices - here goes.
Save the Extra Pale LIght Malt for a wheat beer.

Coopers Lager Cans.

Try i can with 1.5kg of Honey, dry hop with 12.5 gms of hallertaue use kit lager yeast. Made this before - nice.

1 can of coopers - 2kg of Dark Malt if you have it, fuggles and EKG hops.
upto 18-20ltrs use an ale yeast. a dog bolter style...

Use Golden saaz with 1 kg of dextrose, add 250 gms of corn syrup if you want to. use the 12.5 gms of hallertaue as you dont have any Saaz Hops.

use Malt shovel calif wyesat and buy cascade hops for dry hopping 50 gms.
brew at high temp - will create a steam beer/calif cream ale. use 250 corn if you want to.

Stout,
I have a stout recipee for a hoppy foreign extra stout, it is a partial mash - the best stout i have every made. Only scored 108 points in the last comp - Bronze medle - penalised for hop bitterness and aroma. But i bre for me not them.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you go...

Ken,

I am always on the lookout for a good stout recipe, and yours sounds just the ticket! Are you willing to post your recipe for your foreign extra stout? I'll swap for my oatmeal stout kit/partial mash recipe :)

Cheers - Snow.

Thanks GMK,
I will try some of these, i will stop in at the HBS to get some cascade and saaz hops, some more dark malt, and hopefully some grains for part mashes with the other coopers lagers.

idea's anyone?

Also a good Kit Wheat beer? to use with the pale malt can. I was looking at the Malt Shovel but the shop said they didn't think it was that great.

I'll also buy a Ale yeast SAFALE

Are the coopers Kit yeast ok for the kit + honey? will it cope with high "malt" levels i thought they would only work with a kit + glucose + small amount of ME.

thanks again.... i really need 2 more fermentors to have 2 brewing, and 2 secondrys.... to add to my 2 fermenters, mash tun, + 2 fridges and 6 kegs..... oh the gear keeps growing :) pitty the space isn't

PS any one know of cheap ways to crack grain, i need to drive 2+ hours to buy it at a good price, or 5min to buy it double the price, and since it wont keep, its a real pain!
If i could make the drive, buy bulk, and crack the grain as i need it, then i'm laughing

Ben

Cheapest way to crack grain.
Plavce grain loosely in a bag. Spread grain out on chopping board..only want it one grain high.
Use a rolling pin to crack it...empty bag, add more garin and continue.

Cracked grain keeps fairly well if placed in sealed containers.

Grains for Partial Mashing.

This is what i try and keep for Partial Mashing:
Roasted Barley 500 - 1kg
Choc 1 -2 kg
Pale Choc 2- 5 kg - body and mouthfeel.
Xtal Malt 2-5kg
Light Xtal 2 - 5kg - adds body and mouth feel - beutifull.
Flaked Barley 500 gms for mashing - need high enzyme malt.

Hope this helps.

thats an excellent list Ken!. What do the "Mashers" keep as an adjunct listing for additions to the pale/lager malts? :huh:
Or do you buy as you go?

Back