Stir plate stirrer bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
Just got myself a kegland stir plate and need to ask what's probably a couple of stupid questions but here goes.
Is it ok to have the stir bar in the wort whilst boiling it?
Once the starter is complete and ready for pitching, how do you get the stir bar out of the flask?

Just got myself a kegland stir plate and need to ask what's probably a couple of stupid questions but here goes.
Once the starter is complete and ready for pitching, how do you get the stir bar out of the flask?
I can't really answer your first question........I just spray mine with Starsan and add it after the boil.
As for getting it out, I use one of those telescopic magnetic pick-up tools - also sprayed with Starsan.

I don’t boil mine, just starsan it and drop it in.
When it comes time to pitching I just grab a small magnet and hold the bar in place through the glass when I tip the starter in to the wort

I wouldn’t put it in whilst boiling although it would most likely handle it ok. As for getting it out, I just use a magnet on the outside of the glass and drag it up the side and out through the top, that way you don’t risk any contamination to the wort by having to put anything in there.

Cheers Lachie

Stir-bars are coated in Teflon, so its fine to boil then (that will sterilise the bar to) if you leave one in the starter no big.
I've even dropped the odd one into the fermenter.
There is a special pickup tool (like these on eBay) but as above just a small magnet applied to the outside of the flask works to.
Mark

I starsan mine, but have also wondered about boiling it, I'll probably do that from now on seeing as Mark ha said it's Ok.
As for retrieving it, I decant carefully, sometimes it doesn't even go in the fermenter!!

I boil mine. It's a KL bar like yours. Never had a problem.

I just pour my starter carefully as I get towards the end. I don't use magnets or any other tools, just my eyes and a steady hand. I've never had it drop out of my flask.

I leave mine in from the start. It can handle boil temp no problem .
I did in the past drop it in 10 min from the end of the boil.
Be aware that the stir bar can create new sites to re start the boil. The last time , and I mean the last time I added a stir bar to a hot starter in a flask it instantly re boiled and erupted in my face.
Put the stir bar in at the start.

Be aware that the stir bar can create new sites to re start the boil. The last time , and I mean the last time I added a stir bar to a hot starter in a flask it instantly re boiled and erupted in my face.
Put the stir bar in at the start.
Solid advice right there. I made the same mistake once. Never again. It's also worthwhile tipping your flask on an angle so the stir bar is sliding gently down the side rather than dropping onto the bottom of the flask and possibly cracking it.

It's also worthwhile tipping your flask on an angle so the stir bar is sliding gently down the side
Just make sure you tip it AWAY from you.
When I used the word erupted it was somewhat of a under statement, over half a 2 lt starter ejected instantly.

Latest posts

Back