Stir-Bar bulk buy anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkstalen

Reaction score
So I've built myself a fancy schmancy DIY stir plate. Looking around for Stir-bars I've been pretty surprised at the prices, much higher than I assumed.

I've managed to get myself an account at Livingstone Lab Supplies, who have very reasonable prices, but shipping on 1 or 2 stir-bars is 3 times the cost of the items. So I figured there may be others out there who are lacking stir-bars and would like some at a reasonable price.

Here's the deal, I'd like to keep the options relatively small to keep it simple. Postage will be a flat fee $3.00 as they'll fit in a standard envelope, and to spread the initial upfront shipping cost.

The stir bars themselves are cylindrical, Teflon (PTFE) coated, and do not have a pivot.
stir-bar.jpg
Options:
20mm x 6mm = $3.50
30mm x 6mm = $4.00
40mm x 7/8mm = $5.50
50mm x 8mm = $7.50
60mm x 9.5mm = $8.50

If there's a big need for ones with a pivot, or the more egg shape ones, or bigger ones, or the in-between sizes let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Minimum number of people to make this feasible is about 5, so as long as I get that many it's a go.

Reply to the thread with what you want, and also PM me your name, address & order. I'll keep a spreadsheet with everyones orders. Payment via PayPal to [email protected] is preferable, but can probably arrange for direct deposit if absolutely necessary.

I'm interested in 2 or 3.
I'll confirm which once there's enough interest
Thanks

I might be interested in one or two. Just in case I run out of projects. I imagine it's the only part of a stir plate system that needs to be bought (instead of salvaged from old pc's and power supplies etc).

Put me down for 2. I've been meaning to get a couple for a while now as well.
Thanks

What size do you guys recommend?

I'd be interested in 4-6 dependent on costings and I'm with you not too sure on what size

I'd be up for three, but will have to confirm the size once I keg my IPA tonight. Had a few beers on the last brew day and pitched the stir bar as well, hence the need for spares!! A tip for those building a stir plate is to hang onto a spare rare earth magnet to drag the stir bar up and out of the flask before pitching.
I use either a 25 or 30mm on my stir plate, which will easily spin up a 3L starter in a 5L flask.
Cheers,
BB

Alight. :kooi:

Looks like we've got enough to go ahead. At this stage I'll leave orders open until Friday next week or until I stop getting people asking about them. Then just wait for some money to come in, then place the order.

Feel free to start PM-img me some details

Awww dangit, just bought a couple with my 2L conical flask from Wiltronics

Ill take 2, would 50 or 60mm be better for a 2L erlenmeyer?

Any chance you've found a supplier that does barbell ones?

No barbell ones I can see at this supplier. Only the straight ones, straight with pivot ring, oval, and some sort of disk.

Evening Stienberg,
Just checked my stir bar and it's the 25mm. If you're happy to add an extra size I'll grab the three, otherwise I'll give it a miss as they won't spin properly on my stir plate.
Cheers,
BB

Latest posts

Back