Stinky no chill cube.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
Gday fellow brewers.
I have just recently (3 brews in) joined the AG world of brewing and bloody loving it!! getting great results with some super tasty beers. But, my no chill cube that I have used has the smell of hops in it that I just cant get out! I have cleaned with PBW 3 times, sanitised with starsan and left to air but it's still there. My question is, Does it really matter? As it is cleaned and sanitised, will the odour alone ruin anything I put in there or will the new hot brew I put in just overpower it and so on and so on...

Cheers

Gday fellow brewers.
I have just recently (3 brews in) joined the AG world of brewing and bloody loving it!! getting great results with some super tasty beers. But, my no chill cube that I have used has the smell of hops in it that I just cant get out! I have cleaned with PBW 3 times, sanitised with starsan and left to air but it's still there. My question is, Does it really matter? As it is cleaned and sanitised, will the odour alone ruin anything I put in there or will the new hot brew I put in just overpower it and so on and so on...

Cheers
You can try some bi-carb.

Just a scoop with water, shake and let it sit for a bit then rinse type thing?

My brew buckets all smell like hops. Doesn't seem to affect the flavor of anything I put in them.

MO

Sterophos AKA pink cleaner AKA Trisodium Phosphate, Chlorinated
With a couple ltrs hot water works best for me in the cube I wouldn't use it on any stainless steel though.

Mine all smell like hops, especially as I cube hop. I don’t think it matters too much but I can reduce it by filling the cube with water and a helping of Pbw and leave it for a week or so.
I’m more trying to clean out the handle so I turn it upside down but you have to keep venting off the pressure

Back