Steve's Random Recipe Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardEight

Reaction score
I'm feeling lazy... Brewing tomorrow and have no idea what to brew..
I have 2L of BRY-97 starter ready to go, and am after some sort of ale at about 4.8-5.2% for a 50L batch.

The thing is... I have Heaps of hops in the freezer.. But not sure what to do with them.
I've put together my own combinations for the last dozen brews, but need a little inspiration...

So here goes...

Assume I have most malts available.. (Ale, MO and Pils base, as well as a shitload of specs...)

Throw out some suggestions of what to brew from this list of hops...

Northern Brewer (625g)
Calypso (625g)
Galaxy (590g)
EKG (560g)
Amarillo (300g)
AU Cascade (260g)
Nelson Sauvin (90g)
Kohatu (75g)
Vic Secret (70g)
Topaz (40g)
Motueka (30g)
Hersbrucker (30g)
Super Alpha (30g)
Hallertau (20g)
Chinook (10g)
Citra (10g)

Much Appreciated ;)

85% MO
10% Wheat
5% light crystal

Northern Brewer for bittering addition ~ 27 IBU

Combo of Cascade/ Amarillo @ 10 ~ 20 IBU

All of vic secret at flameout

Dry hop with Cascade (optional) @ 1g/L for 3-5 days once crash chilling or after fermentation is completed.

Easy APA.

Edit: Or sub MO for Ale (I like MO in mostly all my ales though)

I can see for some brewers POR is the bridge too far, all those "Aussie" beers brewed with Just POR.
POR really does have a place and I would challenge any brewer to pick it as the bittering hop in a big clean IPA, so for some of us that's exactly where it should be. I realise there are those of us who reminisce or have friends who are down with the clean cut flavours of mega swill more power to em. Still POR as a bittering hop shouldn't be over looked.

MB

I was dead serious... when i was a novice, brewing with cans, if i steeped POR and added to the fermentor.
The finished beer would inflame my throat, the same as eating tomatoes does...
POR = allergic reaction... That's why it's not in the list of hops I have! I don't buy it...

HardEight said:
I was dead serious... when i was a novice, brewing with cans, if i steeped POR and added to the fermentor.
The finished beer would inflame my throat, the same as eating tomatoes does...
POR = allergic reaction... That's why it's not in the list of hops I have! I don't buy it...
Hell if that were me I'd never have started brewing, most Taps at the "locals" when I was a lad all had something with POR in it. Good to know if we every get a case swap/brewday organised here in NSW

A short while after I started brewing I used POR for the first time and all I could taste was goddamn jugs of super from when I was swilling at the pub aged nineteen.... Ran a mile. Ten years on use it for a fair chunk of my 60 min additions and like it especially in AG.
Allergic is allergic tho. And I've just sidetracked the thread...... Apologies

I flare up when scratched by any hop bines as well..
Hasn't stopped me growing the bastards tho ;)

Back