Sterilizing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cleaned out one of my empty kegs and measured the liquid below the dip tube.

In this particular keg there's 200ml left behind. That would be sanitiser, if someone used the method recommended by KegLand above.

It's certainly not a method that I'll be using anytime soon.

Thanks, I was concerned about that too.

Much as I like Proxitane, it takes no prisoners, I would like something that is a little more user friendly, not convinced with the Phosphoric sanitisers wondering whether the Quat may be enough after a sodium percarbonate or perborate pre wash. I will give it a go against the Proxitane and see how it fares.
http://www.industrialbearings.com.au/uploads/catalogs/cyndanaceticsanitise-proxitane_1339553796.pdf
Did I read correctly that the solution needs to be used within an hour of preparing?

Good to see that someone at KK are following the posts, looks like they are going into the proxitane no rinse sanitiser, $16 per litre, slightly cheaper than I buy it for at Bayswater and saves me the drive.

It was affiliation with Keg King, that's for sure. Either themselves or someone on their payroll/benefiting from spruiking their taps. Hence the shite..

Nope, impossible to. Anyone wanting proof can go check out that user's posts and make a decision for themselves. They'll smell the shite.

This thread is far enough off topic as it is. Anyone keen on seeing what misinformation I don't like can go through my post history to see which of your posts I've responded to. I doubt anyone cares enough though

Last edited:
Guys enough with the KK KL stuff, this was about sterilizing and here's your answer if you have deep pockets.

https://www.systec-lab.com/autoclaves/horizontal-floor-standing-autoclaves-65-1580-l/

I don't, and am very happy with Starsan Stellarsan or whatever other name is given to a similar product.
I do use a pressure cooker to kind of autoclave when I'm trying to recover yeast from smallish samples.

An occasional use of a different sanitizer I see as a good thing though - just in case.
I'd do it once a year on all my gear to get rid of any supernasties.

I am not happy with chlorine based products for sanitation - just to be clear.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance and laziness please.

I have been brewing since about January. I am starting to get some good results from only extract kits.
The only sterilisation options I have found in my local brew shop is a mangrove jacks no rinse. It’s in a small bottle that lasts maybe 4-5 brews, maybe.
It costs $6 a bottle .

Obviously there are better options available but I’m wondering how everyone buys their stuff? Is it mainly online that you get cleaning chemicals? And what companies are best for this in your experience?

P.s. sorry for being so lazy.

Back