Sterilising For Yeast Starters, Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
From what I have gathered from various threads here the best way to sterilise your gear for yeast culturing, starters, etc is to have an autoclave. As not many of us can get or afford this high-tech option, the next best solution is a pressure cooker. Another (budget) solution for sterilising is one of those baby bottle sterilisers that are available on eBay & have been given the ok on various threads on the forum. If these are ok, will the Milton sterilising tablets HERE do just as well? :unsure: It all seems too easy. There's got to be a catch. :blink:

:beer:

Perhaps Tidalpete wants to outsource his sterilising or maybe barter some of his beers for someone to autoclave his (yeast) gear ....

:)

redbeard said:
Perhaps Tidalpete wants to outsource his sterilising or maybe barter some of his beers for someone to autoclave his (yeast) gear ....

[post="78043"][/post]​

Ha Ha redbeard. My blooper will soon be corrected (I hope) :ph34r:

Milton's solution is simply a solution of sodium hypochlorite, or bleach. It will NOT sterilise equipment. In order to sterilise equipment you'll need extremely high heat, lower heat with pressure, dangerous chemicals or radiation.

Heat and pressure is the best/easiest/most cost effective option so you'll need one of two things: an autoclave or a pressure cooker. There's no other way.

Tidalpete said:
From what I have gathered from various threads here the best way to sterilise your gear for yeast culturing, starters, etc is to have an autoclave. As not many of us can get or afford this high-tech option, the next best solution is a pressure cooker. Another (budget) solution for sterilising is one of those baby bottle sterilisers that are available on eBay & have been given the ok on various threads on the forum. If these are ok, will the Milton sterilising tablets HERE do just as well? :unsure: It all seems too easy. There's got to be a catch. :blink:

[post="78038"][/post]​

Pete my friend
Please forget about autoclaves,pressure cookers and baby bottle sanitisers....mate it's time you did your firt AG brew :excl:
You have all you need, just do it.
I am ready to come down and give you a hand anytime you ask

Batz

Batz said:
Pete my friend
Please forget about autoclaves,pressure cookers and baby bottle sanitisers....mate it's time you did your firt AG brew

Batz
[post="78058"][/post]​

Too late Batz, it's all done & bottled. If you can get here by 6.30 in the morning you can help fine-tune my 2nd AG. :beerbang:

Tidalpete said:
Batz said:
Pete my friend
Please forget about autoclaves,pressure cookers and baby bottle sanitisers....mate it's time you did your firt AG brew

Batz
[post="78058"][/post]​

Too late Batz, it's all done & bottled. If you can get here by 6.30 in the morning you can help fine-tune my 2nd AG. :beerbang:

[post="78066"][/post]​

Magnificent Pete!
Tomorrow? no
But when that brew is ready to drink...I'll be there.
I trust it all went well?

Batz

Batz said:
Tidalpete said:
Batz said:
Pete my friend

Batz
[post="78058"][/post]​

[post="78066"][/post]​

Magnificent Pete!
Tomorrow? no
But when that brew is ready to drink...I'll be there.
I trust it all went well?

Batz
[post="78070"][/post]​

My natural modesty forbids me to tell you at the moment Batz. The proof will all be in the tasting. :beerbang:

I'd rinse the living shit out of anything i used bleach on as it leaves residue which,if youre brew contacts will give it a sweet edge.Same goes for tap water with a lot of chlorine in it.I use a puratap to get my water from and it works well,leaving no residual chlorine etc. :rolleyes:

Having recently gone through the whole baby bottle steralization thing, it seems to me that the microwave gadgets shoudl do a great job - there is sufficient steam heat generated in those things, so it should become a question of time in the device.

That said, I've not been home to check out the result of my first attempt to culture, so I guess we'll see whether it worked next week.

Andy

Tidalpete said:

[post="78038"][/post]​
Pete

I would only use a pressure cooker or autoclave as the higher pressure allows the temperature to get higher and kill EVERYTHING.
I have only read a little on using steam to steralise (mainly becaus I already had a pressure cooker) but I believe it is called "tindalisation" and is not as effective as a pressure cooker as the temperature only gets to 100C.
Anyone with experience with steam steralising please let us know to confirm or deny this.
As NRB has said the Miltons is just a chemical sanitiser so it will not steralise.

Hoops

The only thing I can add here is that in a Laboratory sense something is deemed clean if the coldest part of the thing in the autoclave is at 121deg for 15minutes - IIRC.

You can buy paper strips and bags that change colour when they have reached those parapeters

Back