Stepped Mashing Schedules By Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJ,

Can I ask you why all your ramp times have become 1 ? I have been basing my programming on your own SS from a while ago that users actual ramp times....

Is it because you have your HY settings sorted, and that it won't start the next step temp is reached until you reach temp any way?

Many thanks!

Yep, having the Hy-1 Hy-2 set to 1 or something close, it makes the PID wait till the temp is within +/- 1 (in my case) before starting the timer. Means you don't have to calculate your average ramp rate then how much time to program into that step to get from temp a to temp b. Hope that makes sense.

Id like to give step mashing a shot with a sasion I'm making this weekend with the aim to getting it nice and dry. Probably apply it my Belgians also if it works out favorably.
I'm only really set up for single infusion at the moment, but is it still doable with additions of progressively warmer water into the mash so long as I'm hitting my temps?
Lets say I'm starting with 5kg of grain and allowing 3L of water per kilo (about the same as my normal single infusion). How much should I allow for the initial dough in?

I'm really only doing this at the most basic level to get a feel for the procedure, so if someone could recommend a temp / time schedule for the style, that would be super-duper.

Id like to give step mashing a shot with a sasion I'm making this weekend with the aim to getting it nice and dry. Probably apply it my Belgians also if it works out favorably.
I'm only really set up for single infusion at the moment, but is it still doable with additions of progressively warmer water into the mash so long as I'm hitting my temps?
Lets say I'm starting with 5kg of grain and allowing 3L of water per kilo (about the same as my normal single infusion). How much should I allow for the initial dough in?

I'm really only doing this at the most basic level to get a feel for the procedure, so if someone could recommend a temp / time schedule for the style, that would be super-duper.

So Dave, what base malts and yeast are you using?

Mainly pils and 3724.

Well in my opinion Dave, when using such a highly attenuative yeast, there's no need for a complicated mash schedule.
But if you still want to forge ahead, I'd do it as follows.

Mash in with about 2/3 of your water at around 62 for 30, then raise it to 68 for thirty by adding hot water from the kettle. Sparge at 82, mash out at 76. Easy eh?
It took me all of five minutes to find this on the BYO site, so next time don't be so ******* lazy and do your own homework.
..useless prick...

Well in my opinion Dave, when using such a highly attenuative yeast, there's no need for a complicated mash schedule.
But if you still want to forge ahead, I'd do it as follows.

Mash in with about 2/3 of your water at around 62 for 30, then raise it to 68 for thirty by adding hot water from the kettle. Sparge at 82, mash out at 76. Easy eh?
It took me all of five minutes to find this on the BYO site, so next time don't be so ******* lazy and do your own homework.
..useless prick...

Thanks man, you're awesome.

**** that Dave bloke is super helpfull...what a champ!

@Dave4900 - There's a Saison schedule on Page 1 of the thread - maybe longer at 62/3 if you want to really dry that sucker out, not so long at 68 or you'll get too much body? I use a HEX to step so no practical advice on additions.

@Dave4900 - There's a Saison schedule on Page 1 of the thread - maybe longer at 62/3 if you want to really dry that sucker out, not so long at 68 or you'll get too much body? I use a HEX to step so no practical advice on additions.

30 minutes at 62 will be plenty using the right yeast and no trouble with 68 for 30.

3711 for example at 62 for 15 and 67 for 45 would easily get me 1008.

I used the strike temp calculator on the grain/grape website when I did hot water infusion to step mash but I can only find the article with no calculator now.

Hey Dave, don't listen to that Dave guy. He's got no clue what he's talking about.

Also, I think he's been sleeping with your missus.

Worse still, he's been drinking all my beer..

Yeah I saw that one, but five stages of temp ramping with a jug and a thermometer is just asking for a headache. The general word from other brewers seems to be that two or three is plenty for this style and grain bill at least.

Probably go with the 3711 as its that little more attenuative and I can recycle it for a lighter Belgian ale next time round.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
200px-HAL9000.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I saw that one, but five stages of temp ramping with a jug and a thermometer is just asking for a headache. The general word from other brewers seems to be that two or three is plenty for this style and grain bill at least.

Probably go with the 3711 as its that little more attenuative and I can recycle it for a lighter Belgian ale next time round.

I step mash with boiling water in a 47ltr esky, and find 3 steps do able but pushing it for a single batcg. 2 steps can be done on a double, but is tricky, the esky is maxed out volume wise haha. Also, a jug wont cut it, use a 12or so litre stockpot on the stove. Im just about to keg the 1st batch of a double of helles, which was step mashed. I would be lying if I said,i hadn't been drinking the samples!!. Koelsh is another good step mash candidate IMHO

Can anyone explain how they know how long to mash at each step? Beersmith gives the same result if I mash at 63 for 10 minutes or an hour.

Back