Step Mashing - Immersion Heater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
Never got around to the RIMS/HERMS this year - didnt buy a March Pump either.

Not a real brewer yet I spose.

But was wondering - if I were to mash thin and use a 2400W immersion element as a heat source and a mash paddle - would this be a good way of step mashing?

Does anyone out there in AG land do something similar.

Cheers

RM

You are better trying to dough in thick then add hot water for the steps.
Use the immersion heater to adjust temps.
Move it around and watch out for the plastic if you have a cooler mashtun.
Some grain may get scorched but they tend to comer out with the immersion heater.

matti

But was wondering - if I were to mash thin and use a 2400W immersion element as a heat source and a mash paddle - would this be a good way of step mashing?

Cheers

RM

It can be done RM. I used my immersion heater to do a step mash in my rectangular esky before moving to a direct heat mash tun. It is time consuming and you have to ensure you constantly keep the heater moving through the mash so you don't burn the grist. You will finish up with bus drivers arms. Only did it once and that was enough.

Cheers, Hoges.

I wouldn't be brave enough to try an immersion heater but I have thought about a copper coil in the mash with suitable temp hot water from the boiler or HLT recircing through. Kind of an inside out herms with less risk of overheating the wort.

Search for "heatstick" or "heat stick" on www.brewboard.com
Constant stirring is required and if you dont turn the power off before taking the element out of the tun then "fatoompsh" goes your immersion heater!!!

Cheers

RM
Wouldn't brew without one, as said by others you need to keep stirring with it and make sure you turn it off before removing it. I have separated the coils further apart on mine to spread the heat further and reduce scorching. If you are doing any more than a 4-5 kg mash then it could take a while to heat the mash, pretty quick on 3-4 kg mashes though.

Cheers, Andrew.

Search for "heatstick" or "heat stick" on www.brewboard.com
Constant stirring is required and if you dont turn the power off before taking the element out of the tun then "fatoompsh" goes your immersion heater!!!

What's a fatoompsh?

Wouldn't brew without one, as said by others you need to keep stirring with it and make sure you turn it off before removing it. I have separated the coils further apart on mine to spread the heat further and reduce scorching. If you are doing any more than a 4-5 kg mash then it could take a while to heat the mash, pretty quick on 3-4 kg mashes though.

Cheers, Andrew.

Cheers for that Andrew

So how longdo ya reckon it would it take to raise say 5KG of Grain and 15L of water from 40 to 65 Degrees then?

Stirring all the time.

RM

Cheers for that Andrew

So how longdo ya reckon it would it take to raise say 5KG of Grain and 15L of water from 40 to 65 Degrees then?

Stirring all the time.

RM

RM,

Mine lifts the mash temp by approx 1c every 45 seconds.

cheers Ross

Mine lifts the mash temp by approx 1c every 45 seconds.

Does that mean it takes 90 seconds to get your 2c worth...

sorry...its been one of those days...

K

Cheers for that Andrew

Stirring all the time.

RM
RM

From looking at my records it takes about 10 min to raise 15C in a 4 kg / 12 lt mash so I'd guess you'd be looking at about 20 min for your case above.

Cheers, Andrew.

Never got around to the RIMS/HERMS this year - didnt buy a March Pump either.

Not a real brewer yet I spose.

Cheers

RM

Did this for about 8 months before going HERMS. Piece of cake BUT, there's always a BUT. Can save you some drama caused by burnt/caramelised mash - use 3.5L/Kg at least.

Best if you have some way of heating your strike water in a pot or something. Used to take about 1 min per C to raise temp, be sure to keep it moving, switch on once in the mash and turn off before removing. Aim for a strike water temp slightly lower than required then give a few min stirring with the Imm Heater to raise to the desired temp.

Used to aim for 48 then raise to 51 for a 15 min protien step. Found it was best to be a degree or two below the step temp to allow for the direct heat applied to the mash plus shorten rest times by 5 min as it takes about 5 min to get the increase happening. So for a 20 min Protien rest @ 52 do a 51 rest for 15 min then step using the Imm Heater. Hope this helps.

Screwy

Did this for about 8 months before going HERMS. Piece of cake BUT, there's always a BUT. Can save you some drama caused by burnt/caramelised mash - use 3.5L/Kg at least.

Best if you have some way of heating your strike water in a pot or something. Used to take about 1 min per C to raise temp, be sure to keep it moving, switch on once in the mash and turn off before removing. Aim for a strike water temp slightly lower than required then give a few min stirring with the Imm Heater to raise to the desired temp.

Used to aim for 48 then raise to 51 for a 15 min protien step. Found it was best to be a degree or two below the step temp to allow for the direct heat applied to the mash plus shorten rest times by 5 min as it takes about 5 min to get the increase happening. So for a 20 min Protien rest @ 52 do a 51 rest for 15 min then step using the Imm Heater. Hope this helps.

Screwy

Thanks for this

I was planning to use this purely as a way to include a protein rest when making Lagers and wheats - esp after reading Zwickels thread on this. I have a 20L urn so I can make whatever initial step temp I desire. Just want to use it to get from say 40 to sacc temp (usually 65).

45 secs/degree thats going to take roughly 20 minutes - hmmmmm - food for thought

RM

45 secs/degree thats going to take roughly 20 minutes - hmmmmm - food for thought
I get about the same rate on the stove.
Dunno if it's good logic, but I include the time it takes while the temp is rising through temp ranges as part of the rest time in that range.
eg: Protein rest is 45-55C so about 5-10mins before Protein step time is done(@50), I start heating, the Beta
conversion works between 55-65C so as the temp rises thru 55, I start timing the Beta step.
I do the same for the Alpha step too(@70)
Seems to work fine but I'll probably get told otherwise. ;)

Latest posts

Back