Step Mash Vs Single Infusion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar question - can you use an OTS element to step mash/mash out in an esky mash tun? Does anyone do this?

I'm in the process of pulling together a 3v system and was thinking this could be a hassle free way to step mash/mash out (as opposed to infusing with extra water - just add the element and stir til hit desired temp). Seems like it would be possible as long as I kept the element moving around so I didn't scorch the grain...

Cheers,

AJ

practicalfool said:
Re-circulating was the easiest and most hassle eliminating step I added to my brewing. It's just a pump with a couple of hoses sticking out and eliminates the need to stir and stir and stir. I had to make polenta last night and the recipe said to stir, in one direction, for a half hour. **** my life. Worked around it. My next setup is going to be a recirculated bag with a fb/cake rack to hold the bag up.
What pump did you use mate? Would this work on a concealed element Crown urn just as well?

AJ80 said:
Similar question - can you use an OTS element to step mash/mash out in an esky mash tun? Does anyone do this?

I'm in the process of pulling together a 3v system and was thinking this could be a hassle free way to step mash/mash out (as opposed to infusing with extra water - just add the element and stir til hit desired temp). Seems like it would be possible as long as I kept the element moving around so I didn't scorch the grain...

Cheers,

AJ
Yes.
I occasionally use an eski mash tun when I'm doing a piggy back double BIAB using urn and eski (don't ask, it's very very ugly :lol: ) and I do this with an OTS element.

Talking of BIAB, provided you have a trivet or cake rack to keep the bag off the element, step mashing in an urn by applying direct heat during the ramping of the temperature from step to step is almost trivial. Just ramp temp while pumping up and down with the paint stirrer or chosen tool then re-wrap the urn for the 40 minutes or whatever.

AJ80 said:

Cheers,

AJ
I use an OTS element in an esky mash tun to step mash - have done since I started stepping regularly.

Just need to keep the element moving constantly

manticle said:
I use an OTS element in an esky mash tun to step mash - have done since I started stepping regularly.

Just need to keep the element moving constantly
How long does it take you to get your temps up between rests?

Depends a bit on the rests but in a 26 L esky, it's a few minutes between say 62 and 68. Less than most HERMS I've seen in action.

Have tried it in a much bigger tun and obviously it's much less efficient.

Cheers for the responses - so much to bloody learn with this brewing caper! Really looking forward to brewing my first AG now...should be next weekend if things go to plan.

Hi econ, I chanced on a march pump in eBay rated to 80C that I use for my recirc needs.
A brown pump or any other pump capable of 70-80C should be just fine. I'd be tempted by those green magnetic pumps coming from china land available through sponsors etc or the bulk buys too.
Econwatson said:
What pump did you use mate? Would this work on a concealed element Crown urn just as well?
Should work just fine for the urn too, the way I had it was that bag or no bag, the element (in my case direct gas fire) heats the liquid between the fb and the vessel bottom and my pickup goes to the lowest point so he pump is picking up the hottest wort and circulating it back to the top. Kind of like a bastardised rims in the vessel.

Sorry for the late reply, thanks very much for the response, definitely going to look into it :)

Reviving an old thread. I am wanting to do a step mash brew using my 25L esky mash tun, I am thinking of doing a mash schedule like 55℃/10 62℃/30. 67℃/15 71℃/10. 78℃/10. Using a step mash calculator I will have to mash in thick say 1.5L/kg 9L @ 65℃ approx then infuse with about 2.1L of boiling to get 1.85L/kg. To get to 67℃ infuse another 2.2L of boiling to 2.19L/kg then for 71℃ infuse 2.2L boiling to 2.55L/kg then infuse 5.7L of boiling for 3.5L/kg for 78℃ mash out. This brings a problem as the last step (mash out) will bring me over my mash tun capcity. Should I skip this step as boiling will stop any conversion still occurring or can I include the step but run off some wort to the kettle beforehand then infuse to mash out.

EDIT- I should include that this mash schedule willbe for a saison using 6kg of grain, 5kg of bb galaxy, .5 kg of Munich, .5kg of Vienna in a 23L batch. Not sure what yeast yet, either belle saison or wyeast French saison.

You don't need so many. You could quite easily get similar results with less. Search "hochkurz" and read up mate. I normally just do a low 60's, then a short low 70's, with very good results. You can add the 55 if you like. I never mash out either. Beers taste fine.

I would also drop the 67 step. It's sitting in the middle of targeting any specific amalyse. Try 55/5 62/30 72/25 77/5.

Back