Step mash using a convection oven?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoose

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all, I'm looking at doing a step mash with one of those bench top convection ovens.

I did a search on here but most hit was for people using these ovens for toasting malts. Which after this last bout of reading I'm definitely going to give a go aswell.

I already mash in 1 vessel and lauter in another so I don't see this being a massive change.. The biggest problem I can see, is that I think temperature monitoring may be difficult. But it will be a matter of lid off check temp lid on.

I'm not too worried about efficiency as last brew I hit 88% (crush is fine & lauter thought Swiss voile)

However, for those which use a mill the convection oven uses a swirling type motions to evenly spread the heat so I'm thinking that this may assist efficiency.

I'm just hoping its big enough for my grain bill

Average 2 - 2.3 kg
Mash in water 6 - 7 Ltrs

This is actually a pretty good Idea, can't believe I've never thought of it
I think the bowl for my convection oven (GVA Brand) is 12L, so you could possibly do 10-11 litres of liquor to 3.5kg-ish of grain
the oven has a metal ring to raise the lid a bit, one could possibly drill a hole through that to fit an STC1000 to control temps
It's useless to me now that I'm moving up to 3V, but for someone wanting to just go one step up from BIAB, it could work well
Also thinking about it, you could even fit the oven lid to a round drink cooler mash tun as a sort of built in step masher type thing?

Sounds more like one step downwards to me. Problem with these ovens (I have one) is that they are just basically a giant hair dryer and blast hot air onto the surface of whatever is underneath so you tend to get raw bottoms and burnt tops. I've fixed that by making an alfoil shield that protects from the concentrated blast from the top and redirects down the sides.
Some people on Home Brew Talk in the USA actually mash in a full sized oven, makes sense if you have an accurate temperature control.

Yeah I think I would definitely need to be hands on with the mash paddle and regular temperature checks.

Spork has made my mind tick over once more and thinking about this a little more I reckon with a modified lid for what ever your brew kettle is, you could probably use the oven element to help assist ramp times up to the boil..

Yeah I did see bribie g that you had one, flicking through the convection oven search I think you had a pork roast on the go

Bribie G said:
Sounds more like one step downwards to me. Problem with these ovens (I have one) is that they are just basically a giant hair dryer and blast hot air onto the surface of whatever is underneath so you tend to get raw bottoms and burnt tops. I've fixed that by making an alfoil shield that protects from the concentrated blast from the top and redirects down the sides.
Some people on Home Brew Talk in the USA actually mash in a full sized oven, makes sense if you have an accurate temperature control.
I would think the whirly fan would mix it enough?
Though once the mash is nice and thick when you mash in, it might be too thick to stir with the fan

As the point of of the swirling motion I mentioned earlier I think that a once mashed in the mash would not be still like a roast or anything like that and I think the heat would distribute fairly evenly

Will be lab coat time when I have a spare half day

Back