step mash schedule for med/high body beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactaphonic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on step-mash schedules for medium or high body beers?

Most step mashes seem to be concerned with getting a highly fermentable wort (e.g. a lager). My system is a bit of a weird RIMS-like setup and there's a few different temperature points throughout the system (with up to 5 degrees difference between them.) As a way around this, I've been doing hochkurz type mashes - which has been working very well for highly fermentable worts - however I'm not sure how to adapt this for beers where you want some more body e.g. bitters, stouts etc.

Look forward to hearing peoples responses.

John Palmers (JPs) book How to Brew is a good start on mashing techniques

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/the-methods-of-mashing/multi-rest-mashing

Basically the higher the mash temps go the more un-fermentable sugars are extracted and the more body your beer achieves, with a corresponding higher Fg.

You mention bitters, they should be mashed at lower temps to end up with a 'thinner' beer you can also add some invert sugar in small quantities with out affecting the taste. Pale Ales are made as a full grain beer and end up with a thicker body

Cheers

Back