Step Mash ramp up time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Wood

Reaction score
If a recipe says to mash in @64c for 75m then mash out @76c for 10m, and I'm assuming a 7m temperature time rise, where does that 7 mins go to? Do I only start the 10m mash out timer once I hit 76c?

So total mash time will be ~92m?

In the grand scheme of things the timing isn't critical (unlike fermentation temp for yeast, or cleaning and sanitising your gear).

Your temperature rise time will depend a lot on your gear, and how you ramp the temp. The rate will often be limited by you heat delivery method (heat exchanger/HERMS/RIMS/Direct fire/adding hot water)

I'd mash for 60 minutes (you're most likely using very well modified malts), then start your ramp (you can start at 50 minutes if you like). Once you hit your mash out temp, then start the 10 minute countdown. If it takes you 15 minutes to get to your mashout temp don't stress, it won't matter.

Again, total mash time doesn't really matter that much (unless you mashing for hours). If it's 75 minutes with a mashout or 92 minutes with a mashout there will be virtually no difference in the final product.

What is your planned method for raising the temp?

JD

What is your planned method for raising the temp?
Thanks for the reply mate. It all makes sense, and glad to hear it's not the most important thing.

I've just got myself a Robobrew Gen 3, and loaded in Gash Sluggs profiles into Beersmith and those were the numbers it gave me for a Czech Pilsner. (Whilst also trying to keep it simple for a second all grain)

Do you use software for your brew session? I'm still stuck in the dark, dark ages and use Pro Mash and ramp times go into... ramp times so not included in mash times. But, they do sit between mash times and are not part of it - unless you want them to be. It's really not important at all.

Do you use software for your brew session?
Just installed Beersmith 3 today and made some recipes. Can't say I understood every section completely, but it's a very neat piece of software and when I loaded in the Robobrew profiles everything made a lot more sense.

But, they do sit between mash times and are not part of it - unless you want them to be. It's really not important at all.
Good to know :)

Like JD don't stress over timing. I start timing after set temp is achieved. Normal ramp for my system is 1 deg per min.
I have also had gear problems resulting in 1 hour to reach mash out and brew turned out fine.

Latest posts

Back