STEP BY STEP: DIY AG on the cheap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No real need to solder although some do. I did centre punch them though.

Some people like to pull them apart for regular cleaning so you may get away with not even doing that but if you clear it from any grain pieces and use a vinegar/water solution to clean the oxides in between brews you should be sweet. It's pre-boil so clean is sufficient.

Sweet. Just need to sell my old guitar amp (hopefully this one comes good) then I can start getting some damn gear! then AG AG AG AG AG.... and AG B)

did I mention AG?

Sorry, just a little excited. :D

NickJD's 'all grain for under $30' is also a good thread on how easy it can be to brew a batch. It relies on the BIAB method and brewing smaller batches and simplifies things so you can experiment with recipe design etc. From there you could expand into tun/2 or 3 vessel brewing or continue with BIAB in bigger pots.

I'm having trouble finding it but someone can link it if they know where it is.

Sweet. Just need to sell my old guitar amp (hopefully this one comes good) then I can start getting some damn gear! then AG AG AG AG AG.... and AG B)

OT somewhat

HAHA...I just sold my guitar and amp....ibanez RG series and a 25watt fender...couple of hundred bucks :)

All good....can u guess where the money is going?? Into my home brew pocket to buy stuff, grain, malt, whatever....aslong as its got to do with home brewing :)

and YES....this thread is excellent. I want to make a manifold, just because....no other reason :) haha

NickJD's 'all grain for under $30' is also a good thread on how easy it can be to brew a batch. It relies on the BIAB method and brewing smaller batches and simplifies things so you can experiment with recipe design etc. From there you could expand into tun/2 or 3 vessel brewing or continue with BIAB in bigger pots.

Move To AG For Under 30 Bucks
I have read through this thread so many times, I've copied all the posts onto a word doc to save the skimming through all the comments!

I want to make a manifold, just because....no other reason :) haha
AG? ;)

Nice work Manticle

I wish I could have read that post when I was telling myself allgrain was to complicated for me.

Awesome encouragement for people thinking about making the step. Just shows there is no secret science to AG and there's heaps of people out there willing to help out.

Cheers

BB

Guys, if the dough for shiny new kit or your aptitude with tools are issues, take heart in what manticle says- Nick's AG for <$30 is an excellent starting point for anyone unsure about where to get going with AG. The risk in buying unsuitable equipment is so minimal with stockpot BIABing, it is pretty simple and straight- forward, while Nick's guide pretty much covers all the bases.
I'm still at the 'start' myself, but 40- odd batches later I'm knocking out a TTL in my scabby old 19L stockpot and a hand-me-down BIAB bag (thanks again buddy!) which ticks all the boxes, both for myself and other more critical and less impartial reviewers. So, if you're worried about cost or complex equipment, there is still a very simple way to give it a go that produces excellent beers. FYI, I've got a couple of legit stainless firkins (40L kegs) that I had grand plans for in a traditional multi- vessel system, but I just haven't seen the desperate need to change from that trusty stockpot and tired old bag (BIAB bag that is...)... yet... :D

However, manticle has laid out all the issues in starting up with the copper manifold and esky, if you're capable, give this method and equipment a go, for sure! :super:

Ps. Sorry manticle to link to a 'competing' thread... I have been soundly beaten anyway... :)

Move to all grain for thirty bucks LINKY - This was my inspiration to going AG, addicted now.
Great work here too manticle. It is good inspiration for people who believe moving to AG is expensive when really it isn't.

YB

Back