Stella Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Can any one give me a recipe for a AG stella copy or even somthing that is in the same class. I'm not even sure what sort of beer it is. I know what I like, I'm still learning what they are.

Do a search on byo.com

They should have a recipe.

No luck

Could someone tell me what style of beer would come close.

Hi Bigfella,

A search turned up this recipe, it's not AG, but hey, may be worth a try. Found it on a US website... Let us know if you try it.

Cheers - Crispy

Quote:

I've made this twice and I swear its the closest thing I've ever had to a Stella Artois, so I felt it neccesary to share. For all those stella fans.

YOU'LL NEED
3 gal of distilled water
1lbs Cara Pils
6lbs Mutons extra light
Wyeast 2007
3/4oz of Perle @ 7.8%
1oz Saaz @ 3.0%
1 Hallertau German @ 5%

Steep cara @ 150F for 45 min, then remove
Bring to a boil and add 3/4oz Perle and 1/4 Saaz
-after 45 min add 1oz of Hallertua
-after 40 additional minutes add 3/4 oz of Saaz for 5 minutes

The key is the distilled water. One of the secrets to a pils is the PH, its very low. SO use the 3 gal of distilled in the boil, then after the boil top up with tap or spring water to about 5 1/4.

Let the beer at 70F until the fermention takes off, then primary ferment at 50 for 7-10days and transfer to secondary
Then lager at 32-40F for six weeks
Let go to room temp for a couple of days
bottle or keg and lager for 4-6 more weeks below 50F

Your recipe sounds interesting Crispy,
Stella is not my absolute favourite but it is not bad and is very popular with many people.
I would like to do an AG version one day( the to do list is getting longer ) and I wonder does any one have any thoughts on what grain could substitute for the extra lite extract?
Cheers
B B B.

Big Beer Belly said:
I wonder does any one have any thoughts on what grain could substitute for the extra lite extract?
Pilsner malt and light k/candi sugar

I think it's a sh*t beer , but that's me only

Good luck with your clone

Then try something with a bit of hops !

Touche' Batz!

Dave at goliath was telling me the other day that Stella used to be bittered with POR. Go figure!

i agree with Wedge.

Upto about 3 years ago - Stella was bittered with POR.

Now they use Saaz....

I've just finished a run of all grain pilsners myself. I can give you a recipe for a pale continental lager.... Expecting my beer to be much better than a Stella though....;-) more like a trumer pills... well at least in colour.

The following recipe makes a super light (colour) lager. I use aprox 15% flaked/rolled rice as an adjunct instead of a sugar of some sort as I find sugars inparts a slight winey/extract twang which is out of style and can be easily recognised in such a light beer. The rice also adds a crispness all of its own.

As for hopping. I use something with a high %AA for the bittering, then small additions of noble hops for flavour and aroma. If you add a large volume of low alfa hops for bittering, the grassyness will overpower this beer. A late hop adittion of cascade instead of saaz makes an impressive American pilsner too.... remember to get a balance of malt to come through in the finish of the beer a good liquid yeast like say a munich lager helps.

For 25 litres:
3.8 kg Hoepfner Pilsner malt
800g Flaked rice (POWA)
200g Vienna Malt
200g Wheat malt
200g Carapills

Single infusion mash @ 67 deg

25 IBU's
High alfa New zealand saaz for bittering (60 min boil)
1 plug of hallertau (20 mins of boil left)
1 plug of saaz (5 mins from end of boil)

Your looking for an OG of around 1.052 into the fermentor.
A good liquid yeast and a month lagering and "bobs the drunk guy in the corner"...

Asher for now....

The secret ingredient ..... POWA Flat rice!

It looks like boiled rice that's been rolled then dried... so Its pre-gelatinised.
In the mash it dissolves by the time I've finished doughing in! So lots of easily accessible starches for the enzymes from the base malt to eat... yum.

I have used it amounts up to 20% for a rice lager with no sparging problems at all....

Asher for now

powa.jpg

Asher
Had a look in a couple of places for Powa last week. Where in Perth are you buying it?

I get it from Swansea St markets - 178 Swansea St East Vic Park

Just round the corner from Malthouse

Im guessing its got an indian cooking background so try growers markets that have an indian twist.....

May pay to wat till next weekend to go looking as Trash Mash Al bought them out of it yesterday.....

I should find out if I can get some in bulk as Its going to be perfect to use with our Kirin Malt order - Kirin Ichiban here we come !

Asher for now

Latest posts

Back