Stella Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after some thoughts on a Stella-style recipe.
My mechanic mate has put a new clutch in my car and has asked for some homebrew as payment. He pretty much drinks anything but thought I'd try to make something sort of like Stella. I'm not too fussed if it's not exact, just as long as it's in the ballpark. After doing a bit of research most recipes I've seen seem to have Perle for bittering and Hallertau for flavour/aroma.

Now, I've got some Perle in the freezer, which I've read can be used for flavour, but no Hallertau, so here's what I've come up with:

1 can Coopers European Lager
1.25kg Light DME
200g CaraPils steeped for 20 min
12g Perle boiled for 10 min
S23 yeast

Any ideas suggestions appreciated.

Not a fan of the style, especially the mega brewery lagers. However, a recent k&k brew by a friend was a surprise.

20 litres
Coopers Euro Lager
500 grams light DME
1kg Coopers BE2
I believe he used the kit yeast but he is not sure. Would your mate like the fruity esters that s23 can produce? If so, go for that.

IMO, if a mate asked for a brew like Stella, or similar, in lieu of payment, I'd go and buy it.
It depends how you value your time.

Coopers Euro is a perfect kit IMO for Euro Lager drinkers so you are on a good track thats for sure

Hi all,

Just after some thoughts on a Stella-style recipe.
My mechanic mate has put a new clutch in my car and has asked for some homebrew as payment. He pretty much drinks anything but thought I'd try to make something sort of like Stella. I'm not too fussed if it's not exact, just as long as it's in the ballpark. After doing a bit of research most recipes I've seen seem to have Perle for bittering and Hallertau for flavour/aroma.

Now, I've got some Perle in the freezer, which I've read can be used for flavour, but no Hallertau, so here's what I've come up with:

1 can Coopers European Lager
1.25kg Light DME
200g CaraPils steeped for 20 min
12g Perle boiled for 10 min
S23 yeast

Any ideas suggestions appreciated.

You may need to do a mash with the carapils just in a ratio of 3:1 water to grain. Hold temp at 68degrees for an hour then begin your boil with that liquid but try to add more water to up the volume in the boil. The bigger the boil volume the better

Still add your perle at 10 min to end as you wont need to bitter it much as your using a kit, then at 2 mins to end add your kit and sugars to dissolve.
Chill with refridgerated water and you know the rest

Hope it goes well and would like to know how you go as im doing a becks clone at the moment and it going good too

Cheers jake.

Carapils is a "cara" malt (it is the lightest of crystal malts) and doesn't need mashing, but I'd give it a good half hour steep at 65.

For a "cleaner" Euro lager I'd look at using a Canadian Light tin - I always had the best results using Canadians (Coopers or Morgans) in my kit days as they are more neutral than the Euro Lager and you can layer your own hops on top of them. S23 would be perfect but give it a good lagering for at least 2 weeks to dispel any sulphur you get.

thanks bribie, needed clarification on that, but thought it would be good to mash anyway, wouldnt hurt im guessing
+1 for the tin.

Weyermann CaraPils only needs steeping. I believe Briess Cara-pils needs to be mashed, however, I personally have never seen it in Australia

Thanks for the advice all. I've got to buy my stuff online, so pretty much want to go with the ingredients I have on hand. Just thought if I was way out with something, you guys could let me know. Just got to double check how much LDME I have, otherwise I might be able to do up a BE2 type mix as I've got some maltodextrin.

I've actually got something very similar just about ready to bottle. From memory it's the same tin, BE2 (or my version of it) and 15g of Strisslespalt @ 10 min. The hydro samples taste very promising.

2.5kg Pilsen Light DME
0.5kg Dextrose

20IBU Magnum or Perle or something neutral for 60 min
5 IBUs Cz Saaz at 10 min

34/70 @ < 12C

+1 for 34/70.

Indeed. Am inexperienced with lager brewing meself but set down the 7th one of winter 2012 yesterday.
Have sampled the 1st three which were done with S23, 497 and 34/70 respectively.
The 34/70 has had the least bottle conditioning of these (7 weeks) but is by far the best.
Was impressed with 497 too, seems more tolerant of temp fluctuations during the primary ferment.

Edit: scuse me, have sampled 4 of the lagers. A kit yeast Coopers Euro Lager is in there somewhere (3rd?) and 10 weeks old. Sampled 1 bottle and quite liked.
Next up is the black pils based on a Coopers Euro Lager and dark malts. Still a few weeks away.

Back