Steeping Vs Minimash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

Reaction score
What determines whether I should minimash or steep my grains ?
Is it the amount of grain I'm using or the effect I will get from the method

I've been brewing extract with steeped grains (300 - 600gm) for a couple of months and impressed with the results compared to kits.

Seems that the difference isn't much - 60 minutes to minimash vs a 30 minute steep.

Considering the amount of grain I'm using, will a minimash make an appreciable difference ?

Jaytee

Hi jaytee,
Its not the amount you need to think about it the type of grains your using.
First thing you'll need to understand is what is happening in the mash and why it needs to be done.
The basics behind what happens is with malting the grain the malting does not convert the starch to sugar, it basically prepares the grains ready for the conversion to sugar to take place(which happens in the mash).

So for most malted and all unmalted grains other than crystal and caramal malts( which have been rested allready at around mash temps while wet after the malting), you need to mash them to convert the starch to sugar, doesn't matter how much there is if it needs to be mashed it needs to be mashed!

Saying this i have seen more than once (or twice) homebrew stores and other homebrewers putting together recipes with extract plus grain which i have seen a small amount of grains(100-250g) which need mashing but the stores or home brewers say they just steep at boiling or whatever.
Some malts i have seen in recipe like this are flakey barley and oats etc plus smoked malt even pale malt. Anyway i cringe every time i see or hear of it and most people learn soon enough its the wrong way to do it.
If the grain needs mashing then mash it, while your at it you can swap another 500g of dry malt and do a extra 1kg pale malt with the mash:)(you'll have to have pale malt in the mash anyway if you want to convert unmalted grains, for example flaked oats and barley)
The malts are so important to your beer and you want to use the best ones you can, the best way you can do that is learn all about them before you use them and don't do anything radical.

Jayse

Thanks Jayse

Malted vs unmalted grains - now I do remember reading that - just not registered in the memory - I think I need a beer

The crystal, amber and caramalt steeped so far are fine.

Now ... with brain engaged, the next recipe includes pale malt - which should be mashed

Jaytee,
Once again Jayse has hit the nail on the head!

I use crystal and other adjuncts such as flaked oats, rye, barley, etc to adjust the colour and flavour of the beer. Thats why you often hear of pale ale malt being referred to as a base malt - its the foundation malt onto which you add your colouring adjuncts, if necessary to suit a particular malt profile of the beer you want to make.

Sure you can use crystal malts and extract in brewing good beer, but once you've gone that extra step and done a partial mash, you'll wonder why you didn't do this earlier!! :D

Have fun - experiment!
Cheers,
TL

jaytee said:
Now ... with brain engaged, the next recipe includes pale malt - which should be mashed
As should your Amber Malt as well.

Jaytee,
Heres a ready reckoner to get you started with grains etc...It's not the most comprehensive list - there are heaps around if you have a search, but its a good rough guide as to what you do and don't have to mash...

The crystal, amber and caramalt steeped so far are fine.
You do have to mash the amber malt...I used Bairds Amber in all my part mash UK ales...

http://www.brewsupplies.com/grain_profiles.htm

Cheers,
TL

Thanks SteveSA and TL, hadn't seen a reference to mashing amber before and I hadn't seen the brewsupplies grain chart - will bookmark for ref

So far the bitter with amber and crystal with Wyeast 1968 looks to be coming along a treat.

If I should have mashed the amber, what's the worst scenario - cloudy beer ?

Latest posts

Back