Steeping Techniques

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Yes another newbie question. I was wondering if people could tell me their thoughts on the best way to steep grains, as i have been told a dozen different ways.
I've been told to boil water, flame out, and steep for 20 mins. I've been told to squeeze them out, and i've been told not to squeeze them out (cause it makes it bitter?).
I've read to leave them in room temp water overnight, and i've been told to boil them for 1/2 an hour.

Are the different techniques for different flavour profiles? Or am i just hearing everybodies way that they have always done it?

Well, the technique used would depend on the color of the grain. Anything dark brown to black (cararoma, choc, roast. . .) I would cold steep: mix with cold/tepid water, cover and let stand overnight.

Lighter grains, mix with cold water, heat up to 65C and let steep for 20-30 mins.

Would not let grains steep in water that is anywhere near boiling

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Well, the technique used would depend on the color of the grain. Anything dark brown to black (cararoma, choc, roast. . .) I would cold steep: mix with cold/tepid water, cover and let stand overnight.

Lighter grains, mix with cold water, heat up to 65C and let steep for 20-30 mins.

Would not let grains steep in water that is anywhere near boiling

Jovial Monk
Tom,
Cold steeping overnight is likely to promote growth of beer spoilage organisms.
Grains should be steeped only for ten or so minutes in mash temp (65 degC) water.
After all you are only looking to extract flavour and colour from these grains.
The resulting liquid from steeping should be sanitised ASAP to stop growth of spoilage organisms.

The way I used to do it was to boil the jug and let it "click" off. Pour the water into the steeping vessel and then stir the graing in. Let sit for 20-30 mins and then strain off the liquid from the grains.
You are also trying to extract the sugars from the crystal grains.

But thats just the way "I" did it...now I mix them in with the mash

Linz said:
You are also trying to extract the sugars from the crystal grains.
Your tecnique was good Linz. Extraction of sugars is the reason NOT to leave the steeped liquid overnight.

Never steeped overnight either

Never said steep crystal malt overnight

only black grains, just look at my post. Not much sugar in black grains, is there?
and of course all wort is boiled

JM

Thanks for the input.. Should i wash the grains with water to extract the most sugar possible, or just strain them out?

a small amount of 80C water to sparge even black grains is fine

watch the sparge water temp though

Jovial Monk

As a kits and bits brewer.....i have tried it all - including overnight.

Now i get warm tepid tap water and steep the grains for 3 hours before the boiling...

Steep in the water that you want to boil - ie if you are goingf to boil 5 ltrs - steep in 5 or boil 10 steep in 10.

I bring about 4L water to boil in a pot, turn off the heat, add the grains in a grain bag, put on the lid and leave for 15 mins. Then, I pull the grain bag out, put a colander under it and pour over a litre of boiling water from the jug. Works for me every time, including crystal and black malts.

- Snow

jgriffin said:
Yes another newbie question. I was wondering if people could tell me their thoughts on the best way to steep grains, as i have been told a dozen different ways.
I've been told to boil water, flame out, and steep for 20 mins. I've been told to squeeze them out, and i've been told not to squeeze them out (cause it makes it bitter?).
I've read to leave them in room temp water overnight, and i've been told to boil them for 1/2 an hour.

Are the different techniques for different flavour profiles? Or am i just hearing everybodies way that they have always done it?
JG

Aren't you glad you asked the question and now have a definitive answer on the right way to do it?

:D

Back