Steeping Munich

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdjoffe

Reaction score
Has anyone ever steeped Munich before adding LME/DME to an extract brew?

I've read that Munich can only be mashed but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if so what kind of results they got.

Cheers

Munich isn't a crystal malt, it's a base malt. However if you "steep" it at 65 degrees for an hour, you are in fact mashing it.
A crystal version is CaraMunich, that can be steeped / extracted without mashing as such and would be a better choice for extract brewers.

Bribie G said:
Munich isn't a crystal malt, it's a base malt. However if you "steep" it at 65 degrees for an hour, you are in fact mashing it.
A crystal version is CaraMunich, that can be steeped / extracted without mashing as such and would be a better choice for extract brewers.
Only thing I'd be worried about when we say steep here, you can happily steep with water:grain being 10:1 where you wouldn't normally do with when you're mashing especially with Munich, the enzymes are gonna be pretty diluted.

Caramunich is one of my fav crystals

Briess do a Munich LME. That's probably the best bet for getting some Munichy goodness in an extract brew.

shacked said:
Briess do a Munich LME. That's probably the best bet for getting some Munichy goodness in an extract brew.
Good point that. Forgot about their line of extracts.

I've mas

damoninja said:
Only thing I'd be worried about when we say steep here, you can happily steep with water:grain being 10:1 where you wouldn't normally do with when you're mashing especially with Munich, the enzymes are gonna be pretty diluted.

Caramunich is one of my fav crystals
Maybe 10:1 is problematic, I don't know, but I've BIAB mashed at five to one and obtained very high mash efficiencies doing so. Caramunich is an excellent crystal malt but does not to my tastes impart Munich flavour.

The one constraint on mashing the Munich might be your water and the pH that results, which doesn't matter when steeping, but Munich is an offpale but not dark malt and unless your water is very hard, you should end up in a pH range that allows for a fair bit of starch conversion as well as good flavour extraction.

yankinoz said:
Maybe 10:1 is problematic, I don't know, but I've BIAB mashed at five to one and obtained very high mash efficiencies doing so.
Was that 5:1 with all munich though?

I have a beer in the fridge, 3kg Munich, 500g Rye mashed in 33 litres of water. That worked.

damoninja said:
Was that 5:1 with all munich though?
The grist was about 70% Munich, 20% pils and 10% specialty grains with no diastatic power.

Brewers who do full volume mash and BIAB and brew to 1.040-1.045, say, for an English bitter, should exceed 5:1.

indica86 said:
I have a beer in the fridge, 3kg Munich, 500g Rye mashed in 33 litres of water. That worked.
yankinoz said:
The grist was about 70% Munich, 20% pils and 10% specialty grains with no diastatic power.

Brewers who do full volume mash and BIAB and brew to 1.040-1.045, say, for an English bitter, should exceed 5:1.

Yeah don't doubt that it'll convert OK, considering, I suppose when we say something has "less" diastatic power than other modern base malts we forget how good malts are these days.

RDWHAHB strikes again!

Steeping at 10:1 isn't going to cause any problems, nor a loss of efficiency - given a long enough steep.
The Congress mash that reports the potential of the malt is mashed at 8:1 and the IOB test is conducted at 10:1 (65oC/60minutes)
View attachment 10 - Malt specifications.pdf
I doubt you need it that dilute but cant see any issues if anyone wants to.
Mark

Back