Steeping Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having recently started steeping grains what is the ratio of water to grain that I should be using when steeping? Also what ratio of grain to water do I use for sparging the grain?

If I was to use say 2L of water with 120g of Carapils and then sparge with 1L will this give me any off-flavours or adverse effects?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

Sam.

Hi All,

Having recently started steeping grains what is the ratio of water to grain that I should be using when steeping? Also what ratio of grain to water do I use for sparging the grain?

If I was to use say 2L of water with 120g of Carapils and then sparge with 1L will this give me any off-flavours or adverse effects?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

Sam.

Sam,

Totally up to you but i use 2.5-3L per kg for steep/Mash then sparge with 5L per kg

That would mean for your 120g carapils mash/steep in 300ml water then sparge with 1/2L water

Off flavours???? Yes if you were using more grain

Sam,

Totally up to you but i use 2.5-3L per kg for steep/Mash then sparge with 5L per kg

That would mean for your 120g carapils mash/steep in 300ml water then sparge with 1/2L water

Off flavours???? Yes if you were using more grain

Thanks Plyers. Sorry what I was meant to say was that if I steep in say 2 litres using 120g of specality grains...is there a chance of extracting tannins etc.? I did read somewhere that if you steep in more water you risk this...

Thanks Plyers. Sorry what I was meant to say was that if I steep in say 2 litres using 120g of specality grains...is there a chance of extracting tannins etc.? I did read somewhere that if you steep in more water you risk this...

Never heard that one but not saying it is untrue but usually extracting tannins is a high temperature problem not water volume.

I do steeping at 65C for about 30mins no problem don't take notice of the water volume.

Maybe thats why my K&Bits are so bad but never had astringency in any of my crappy brews.

Never heard that one but not saying it is untrue but usually extracting tannins is a high temperature problem not water volume.

I do steeping at 65C for about 30mins no problem don't take notice of the water volume.

Maybe thats why my K&Bits are so bad but never had astringency in any of my crappy brews.

Thanks Tropical Brews. I was panicking then thinking I may have stuffed my latest Pilsner. I steeped my 120g in 2 litres of water @ 68C and then sparged with 1 litre of water @ 70C.

Will reduce my steep volume down to 1 litre (as 2 litres was way too much anyway).

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam.

I steep dark grains even though i all grain.

500 g of grain in 2 litres works well.

With dark grains i normally steep @24 hr in cold water and add at last ten miutes of boil to reduce astrigendy.

With your xtal grains 10-15 min in 76 C water should be fine. Going higher temp wise i find doesnt produce noticeable astrigency as is only short exposure.

Cheers
Sean

Latest posts

Back