Steeping Grains - How Much Water Will Be Absorbed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohitsbrad

Reaction score
Say I plan to steep 750 grams of grain in a stocking or bag in 6 litres of water at about 70 deg for 30 mins. If I remove the grain bag, allow it to drain, but not squeeze out the liquid, can anyone give a rough estimate for how many litres of wort I might be left with?

Also, is this grain to water ratio ok? Does it matter much?

Say I plan to steep 750 grams of grain in a stocking or bag in 6 litres of water at about 70 deg for 30 mins. If I remove the grain bag, allow it to drain, but not squeeze out the liquid, can anyone give a rough estimate for how many litres of wort I might be left with?

Also, is this grain to water ratio ok? Does it matter much?

You won't lose much with 750gms grain.

I'm not sure whether water to grain ratios are so important with steeping but I always went with a similar level to that used in mashing 2-5L per kg just for the sake of it.

Edit: That should read 2-3L. Memo to me don't post before 5:45 and below 9C :) Or pre-coffee for that matter

You can then simply add in the remaining water.

Not sure when it comes to steeping whole grains, wouldn't be much surely. When mashing grist (crushed grain), the ratio of water to grain varies depending on the mash regime required but 3:1 is common for a single infusion mash, water retained in the grist varies very slightly with the crush and malt but 1L per Kg is close.

Thanks. Reason I ask is because I want to know how much extra water to add before the boil, since I have an 11.5 litre boil in mind, and have no way of measuring without transferring. I figure I'll add another 6 litres and come close enough. Come to think of it it probly wouldn't matter if I steeped the grain in the total 11.5 or 12 litres would it? Either way it doesn't matter if the amount of water lost is fairly small. Sweet.

edit: The grain will be crushed.

Back