Steeping grain for biscuit flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just trying to organise my stocks for my next 4 beers, one of which was going to be a English IPA, now I'm trying to get a biscuity flavour into it, not a heavy one something you can just taste. So far i was going to use Caramunich 3 to get the malty flavour in there. To get the biscuit flavour i have read you can steep a small amount (approx 200g) of Melandoin something such as this http://www.esbrewing.com.au/castle-melanoidin-malted-barley.html

It is a grain you need to mash but i have read you can steep a small amount to get the biscuit flavour, has anyone had any experience with this?

Iv'e used it in small amounts in a couple of pils beers, I don't recall getting biscuit from it but it certainly helps the malt profile. For an IPA I would use amber malt, it has low diastatic power and needs to be mashed with ale malt or similar. I do a full mash so can't comment on steeping either grain.

Try about 250g of victory malt and keep the temperature between 60 and 70 for at least 30 minutes. Victory is a malt that needs mashing but should have enough diastatic power to self convert.

Biscuity/nutty contribution similar to biscuit malt but biscuit has no diastatic power.

Cheers for the help guys, i think i will just up the caramunich and use a little carared, which is apparently almost the same as victory.

You'll need to mini-mash Vienna, so no easier than getting biscuit/victory malt or similar.

FWIW, I really like the biscuity characteristics that Victory give.

manticle said:
Try about 250g of victory malt and keep the temperature between 60 and 70 for at least 30 minutes. Victory is a malt that needs mashing but should have enough diastatic power to self convert.

Biscuity/nutty contribution similar to biscuit malt but biscuit has no diastatic power.

lfc_ozzie said:
How would i add victory/Melandoin? seeing its not a steeping grain, i read you can steep small amounts though

Back