Steeped hops or dry hopping reducing clarity?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi The last few brews (kits) I have steeped hops or dry hopped ... no hop bag, Does this reduce clarity of the beer because I am finding that the beers are taking a long time to clear? One seems to be not clearing at all.

Could I add gelatin to a keg if been in fridge for a while? I could add some gelatin to keg on bottom when kegging to mix in. Thanks

Dry hopping will add haze to beer, nothing to worry about it's from the oils in the hops, I'm not usually over concerned with clearing hop haze out, I find it does clear over time in the keg but I don't use clearing agents! Was looking recently at biofine clear which seems to be working well for a lot of guys on here but I'm still yet to get any and give it a go!

Thanks , I have one kit that I have sample for FG and left in vessel, seems to be clearing ... other kit not. Do some not clear the same? Thanks

Thanks , I have one kit that I have sample for FG and left in vessel, seems to be clearing ... other kit not. Do some not clear the same? Thanks

There are a few variables here.

Different yeast strains flocculate differently, some drop like a stone as soon as they run out of food, others hang around pretty much for ever (or it seems that way if your impatient). The same yeast may behave slightly differently between tow different batches too.

Hops will have a varying impact depending on the quantity used, when they are used, how they are used and which variety.

Different grains will impact clarity as well as how they are used.

Personally I dont think its something worth worrying about. Anything that drops out of solution after packaging will either settle to the bottom of the keg or the bottom of the bottle after a while in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back