Steam & Wheat Beer Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Making a dash to my local HBS this evening and wanted to pick up some ingredients for future brews.

I have the following Wyeasts in my fridge I wanted to try:

2112 - Calinfornian Lager

3056 - Bavarian Wheat

3333 - German Wheat

Can anyone offer either extract or partial recipes for a decent wheat & Steam(?) beer.

I have trawled through previous posts but am getting a bit lost.

Cheers

Fish

p.s. - had a religious experience with my first APA last night. Very excited by Cascade hops and dry hopping! I think I will make and consume a few before my time is up.

Love Steam beers. :super:

Very easy to make too. Just make up a similar grainbill to a Pale Ale with an OG of about 1.050-55 and replace the English hops with Northern Brewer in about 2-3 additions.

Ferment with Wy. 2112 at about 15-17c and lager afterwards if you can be bothered or wait that long.

Best Steam I ever made was done with Pale Malt and about 150g (English) amber malt in a 23 litre batch to replace the crystal.

Very nice. :chug:

Warren -

I made a steam beer that turned out fantastic. Not having drunk Anchor Steam Beer, I can't vouch for it's authenticity. However, I'm a bit anal when it comes to researching methods, ingredients etc when I'm brewing a specific style for the first time, so I had researched this one to death and came up with this partial mash recipe:

2.5kg Australian Pale Ale Malt
300g Medium Crystal malt
600g pale DME
1kg Pale LME
15g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 75 mins
15g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 35 mins
10g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 15 mins
9g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) dry hop in secondary
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 mins
1/2 tsp Gypsum - start of boil
1 tsp yeast nutrient - 15 mins
2.5L starter Whitelabs San Fransisco Lager Yeast

Mashed in 6L at 54C for 30 mins. Stepped up to 65C 60 mins. Sparged at 80C. Boiled for 15 mins, then followed hop schedule. Force chilled, topped up to around 21L then pitched starter at 20C. Brought down to 17C overnight and fermented at 16-18C for 7 days. Racked to secondary and dry hopped with NB. Conditioned for 14 days before kegging and bottling.

Cheers - Snow

Nice one Snow,

That is exactly what I was after - simple proven recipe.

I'm wetting my lips in anticipation already.

Thanks - Fish

Sorry Snow,

Couple of quick questions:

1. Never used Gypsum when brewing - do you get it from the HBS. Any major drama if I didn't add it?

2. How much sparge water did you use?

3. Does Irish Moss go off? I've got a bottle I haven't used for a few years.

Thanks again.

Fish

I can offer an extract wheat recipe:

This tastes better (IMHO) if using DME, but LME will also make a nice beer. Have done both myself.
Simply add 1.5kg wheat extract to 1.0kg light malt extract..
Boil in a minimum 10 litres water with 4AAU noble hops (I use Tettnang, Saaz, or a combo). 1 AAU is 1 ounce (say 28g) of 1% alpha acids. I commonly use 28g of 4% AA Saaz for this beer. No aroma or late hopping.

You can add the light malt for the whole boil and add the wheat extract 10 min before the end of the 60 min boil.

I have made this with the W3056 and the W3068 yeast. Both are good, and prob not a lot between them at above 20C.

Pitch with a 1 litre (or larger) culture of the yeast.

The best thing (apart from the delicious flavours) about wheat beer is the rapid maturation. I find that you can drink them as soon as they are carbonated.

...And it's not a big step to add some dark grains to create a Dunkel. Now you're cooking! :D

Go for it.

Seth Weizguy :chug:

Heres a steam beer recipe I made for the Sandpeoples Christmas case. Was a tasty drop.

Ive converted to a partial mash recipe

Steam Beer Partial Mash

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 2.10
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.78
Anticipated SRM: 8.1
Anticipated IBU: 36

2.00 kg. Coopers LME - Light
1.50 kg. IMC Pilsner
0.25 kg. TF Crystal
0.25 kg. TF Flaked Barley
0.10 kg. Flaked Oats

Mash everyting bar the LME @ 67deg for 60mins

20.00 g. Northern Brewer pelets @ 60 min.
20.00 g. Northern Brewer pelets @ 5 min.

Go the Californian lager yeast ferment slightly warm

Asher for now

I have to second that - I had the last bottle of it (Santa's little helper) on the weekend and it was bloody bewdiful !

Geez - ask and you shall receive.

Warren, Snow, Weizguy, Asher - Thanks for the great info.

Fish.

Goat said:
I have to second that - I had the last bottle of it (Santa's little helper) on the weekend and it was bloody bewdiful !
[post="56745"][/post]​

I bet you were one of those kids who stashed your lollies behind the wardrobe, and took great pleasure eating them days later in front of your siblings who had scoffed the lot straight away!

I actually had a Santas Little Helper at the weekend, but it wasnt Ashers original, I drank that so long ago that the bottle has been recycled with one of my brews, at least once, maybe twice!

Twas a cracker of a label wasn't it GL! :beerbang:

Santas_little_helper2_.JPG

:) Close GL.

I was (and still am) one of those kids that never put things away in the right place and as a result lost everything. The up side is that you get the odd nice surprise, hence the SLH.

BTW had a couple of great beers from Deebee on the weekend too. I enjoyed them while watching the Eagles whip Brisbane - made them taste even better.

(sorry for the hijack)

ROTFLMAO! I bet when Santa stands up the hat will just stay there. :lol:

Warren -

Fish said:
Sorry Snow,

Couple of quick questions:

1. Never used Gypsum when brewing - do you get it from the HBS. Any major drama if I didn't add it?

2. How much sparge water did you use?

3. Does Irish Moss go off? I've got a bottle I haven't used for a few years.

Thanks again.

Fish
[post="56737"][/post]​

Fish,
you can get gypsum from the HBS no probs. It hardens the water a little and gives a sharper hop profile in larger amounts. 1/2 tsp was really just to get Brisbane water up to something close to Sanfrancisco water. Not sure if it made much difference. You don't have to use it if you don't have any handy...though it's good to have some around for when you're making English bitters..

I used 6L of sparge water. I also used about 2-3L of boiling water to bring the mash temp up for the second infusion. Really, you could get away with a single infusion at 65-66c no problems. All those ingredients are based on a 61% efficiency (I only have a 10L boil pot), so adjust according to your system.

If you kept it dry, I can't imagine the irish moss going off. Just make sure it's not covered in mould, I guess. It will still smell fishy, no doubt!

Cheers - Snow.

Back