Steam IPA ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

0 Warning Points
Reaction score
This is not something I read too much about though would seem a logical extension to the common "Steam Beer" or "Steam Ale".

Has anybody given it a try ? Wondering about head retention as my experience with steam beers is that head retention resembles a lager (ie seems less than an ale) otherwise I would never tell that the beer had been brewed with a lager instead of an ale yeast.

I was thinking of giving it a go atop the cake after my current S-189 lager batch has completed.

What next - white, black and belgian IPAs? :ph34r:

fermenting the IPA on lager yeast will only be considered ' steam ' if the temp is in the ale temps eg 15-23.

Id suggest you ferment the IPA on ther lager yeast, but at Lager temps.....making its an IPL ( India Pale Lager )

Its becoming a new thing ofcourse on the US and it brings a different finish beer v's the ale fermented IPA.

I think murphy dans have the Hoppy Lager from Sierra available which is an example of the style IPL.

Hoppy Lagers are lovely, that Sierra Nevada one is quite nice.

sponge said:
What next - white, black and belgian IPAs? :ph34r:
Dont worry. Give it another 30secs and the BJCP will have created a style guideline for it

Latest posts

Back