Steam Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because the other grains need mashing with pale malt
or you'll just make porrige if you steep them

you still use the light crystal grain

i love the yeast my steam beers maybe a little on the fruity side after reading that but they taste great ive only been using caramunich not the 135ebc crystal

and more spicy hops gone off NB a bit

I've got a beer I'm calling "cascade common" in secondary at the moment. Its not an authentic steam beer, but I'm using WY2112 yeast. Its 4kg of pale LME, 425g wheat DME, 250g steeped dark crystal (120L), and cascade for bittering, flavour and aroma. 35 IBUs and an OG of 1056. I'm expecting it to be a cross between a california common and an APA.

I'll let you know how it tastes in around 9-10 days.

Also, Ben, you could do a mini-mash of the flaked barley, flaked wheat and rolled oats if you mashed them with 700g of pale malt and reduced the amount of DME appropriately. Just need something large enough to mash 1.4kg of grain in. A small esky, or a very large thermos would work well. Even a saucepan if you can insulate it enough..

Wow that recipe is craptastic!!!!! Remember that a steam beer was basically just a lager fermented at ale temps.

Firstly take out the barley, oats and wheat.

Easy Steam Beer Recipe:
All-grain
4kg Pilsner malt
.5kg light crystal

Extract
3.5kg LME
.5kg light crystal

Hops
30g N Brewer 60min
30g N Brewer 10min

Yeast
WLP San Fran Lager
WYEAST Cali Lager

Ferment as an ale.

sound great i might make a part mash version of it or have u a recipe for a sam adams boston larger maybee it will be next with the wyeast 2206

Back