Steam Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what I though although Ray Daniels laments the loss of diversity in this style due to the dominance of Anchor Steam, other "traditional" recipes I've seen call for Cluster..... :icon_vomit: but I'd rather not use that

but I think that it is very typical to use NB and really makes the beer a steam. If you go with Cascade, what really separates that from an APA? :)

Stuster, the reference to Cascades was for late hop additions. As long as the bittering is with NB and there is also some late NB, I believe you can use a dash of Cascade or other American varieties. The steam I brewed that won BOS over here in 2006 had some Amarillo and Cascade late. They didn't push the NB aside but all three played along together very happily. And the other thing that makes it not a pale ale is the lager yeast, even if you do ferment at 18, it still gives a different result than an ale yeast, a cleaner, sharper kind of bitterness. As it happened, I used WLP German Lager rather than San Francisco Lager. That recipe subsequently got made at a commercial brewery and was very popular indeed (even though I didn't think it was quite as good as the original batch of home brew!).

Regards,

Steve

Just had an American mate of mine over here... he just got back from San Fran, and was really impressed with the beer from Anchor.
He likes a lot of the same beers as myself, so it's looking quite tempting to make one.

I'll be following this thread, and researching recipes. I would likely lean towards the lower end of hopping, to keep it wife-friendly (more sweet).

Just found this one, in dodgy American measurements. What do you guys think? I'm trying to track down something that's authentic to the Anchor brand:
What the heck is a California Common? You might better know it as Steam Beer. Unfortunately for the rest of us, those clever folks at Anchor Steam have trademarked the term Steam Beer, so its also been given this more general name describing its origins. Common, however, it is not. One of the few truly original styles, it was developed when German immigrants who came to the San Francisco area of California wanted to brew the Lagers from their homeland. In those days they had neither ice caves nor mechanical refrigeration which was necessary to ferment their Lager yeasts at the proper temperatures, usually in the 45-50 range. Instead, they adapted to the environment of the area and fermented their Lagers in shallow open vessels where the ambient temperatures of the region kept the fermentation in the 60-65 range.

This recipe is not designed to be a clone of Anchor Steam, but simply a good example of the style. The key to this style is the proper yeast strain. Without that, its not really a California Common. You must use either the Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810. While you can ferment them at near ale temperatures, the best results will really come from keeping them in the 60-62 range.

If you want something a little closer to an Anchor clone, then you might want to substitute 1-2lbs each Munich and Vienna malts in place of some of the base malt for the All grain and Partial mash. Unfortunately for the extract brewers, Vienna and Munich are base malts which must be mashed to convert. You cant steep them like your crystal malts, but you could take this opportunity to learn how to do a partial mash.

California Common All Grain

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 11/10/2007
Style: California Common Beer
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 75.13 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 90.05 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.48 %
0.05 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.47 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.40 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.40 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.40 %] (1 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Lager

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG (1.048-1.054 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.011-1.014 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 10.5 SRM (10.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 43.2 IBU (30.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 14.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.42 % (4.50-5.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.69 %
Actual Calories: 233 cal/pint

Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 10.55 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 5.22 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.19 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F 60 min

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Carbonation Volumes: 2.6 (2.4-2.8 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 10.2 PSI Kegging Temperature: 34.0 F
Pressure Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks

Storage Temperature: 34.0 F

Notes
.05 lbs = 22 grams of Chocolate Malt. Try with 1% Pale Chocolate (200 SRM) also.

Stuster, the reference to Cascades was for late hop additions. As long as the bittering is with NB and there is also some late NB, I believe you can use a dash of Cascade or other American varieties. The steam I brewed that won BOS over here in 2006 had some Amarillo and Cascade late. They didn't push the NB aside but all three played along together very happily. And the other thing that makes it not a pale ale is the lager yeast, even if you do ferment at 18, it still gives a different result than an ale yeast, a cleaner, sharper kind of bitterness. As it happened, I used WLP German Lager rather than San Francisco Lager. That recipe subsequently got made at a commercial brewery and was very popular indeed (even though I didn't think it was quite as good as the original batch of home brew!).

All good points, Steve. I guess you are right and having the Cascade along with the NB seems like it'd work and still be a little different. And if it's not for a comp then there's certainly no reason not to play around with it.

I also think it'd be good to use this yeast for a few different beers. I've got some slurry in the yeast from a steam beer and I'm planning on giving it a go in an APA at some point. I also used it in a Munich Dunkel and it seems to have worked out well although it's still not really ready to drink yet.

Has anyone used this yeast for something different?

trev, looks pretty good for a steam to me. Should make a nice beer. :)

Has anyone used this yeast for something different?

I reckon this is a fairly versatile yeast, great for making Summer drinking ales, cream ales & apa's.
I have used it in pale ales using German noble hops, Nelson Savin all had a good clean flavour brewed around 16-18C it hasn't dissapointed.

Have a Steam beer planned later this year using all NZ Southern Cross.

Cheers,
BB

Hi all,
Here is one I did with a bit of Cascade in it.
I used cascade after reading Daniels DGB.
The amounts I used only gave a very slight hint of fruityness and it was pretty popular at the 2006 big brew day at anthony macs.
IIRC Kai had one there as well on that day and his was straight NB hops and it was excellent.

Stuster,
I have used this yeast to make an Aussie lager but my thoughts were that it left this style a bit sweet. It is definately suited to a Steam Beer.

Cheers

06-Mar-2006 Driver River Goldrush Ale

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Monday March 06, 2006
Head Brewer: DICKO
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: Driver River Goldrush Ale

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 51.00 Wort Size (L): 51.00
Total Grain (Kg): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.94
Anticipated EBC: 27.1
Anticipated IBU: 37.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.94
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Alc by Weight: 3.71 by Volume: 4.75 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 74.3 RDF 61.8 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 78 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 48.12
Actual Points From Mash: 48.12

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 13.00 L Per Hour

Raw Pre-Boil Amounts - only targeted volume/gravity and evaporation
rate taken into account:

Pre-Boil Wort Size: 64.00 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.038 SG 9.59 Plato

With sparge water, mash water, additional infusions, vessel losses, top-up
water and evaporation rate recorded in the Water Needed Calculator:

Water Needed Pre-Boil Wort Size: 66.10 L
Water Needed Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.037 SG 9.30 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
79.0 7.90 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
9.0 0.90 kg. IMC Munich Australia 1.038 12
2.0 0.20 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 940
10.0 1.00 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 56

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
38.00 g. NORTHERN BREWER Pellet 9.90 24.3 60 min.
20.00 g. CASCADE Pellet 5.40 7.0 60 min.
10.00 g. CASCADE Pellet 5.40 1.8 30 min.
10.00 g. NORTHERN BREWER Pellet 9.90 3.3 30 min.
15.00 g. CASCADE Pellet 5.40 1.0 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 2112 California Lager

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Infusion

Grain kg: 10.00
Water Qts: 31.70 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 30.00 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.10
Grain Temp: 21 C

Dough In Temp: 74 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp: 76 Time: 15
Sparge Temp: 76 Time: 40

Runnings Stopped At: 1.010 SG 2.56 Plato

Additional Infusion Temperatures And Amounts
--------------------------------------------

Mash Out Step: 11.39 Ltr of 99 Degree Water Added

Total Mash Volume L: 48.06 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Water Needed For Brewing Session
--------------------------------

Sparge Amount: 36.73 Sparge Deadspace: 0.00 Total Into Mash: 36.73

Total Grain Kg: 10.00 Ltr Per Kg: 4.14 Total From Mash: 31.37
Mash Liters: 41.39
Grain Absorption: 10.01

Amount Lost in Lauter Tun Deadspace,
Grant and Misc. to Kettle: 2.00

Top Up Water Added to Kettle: 0.00
Amount into Kettle: 66.10

Boil Time (min): 60.00 Evaporation Rate: 13.00
Amount after Boil: 53.10

Left in Kettle Deadspace: 5.00
Left in Hopback: 0.00
Left in Counterflow Chiller: 0.00
Left in Other Equipment / Other Absorption: 0.00

Amount to Chillers: 48.10
Amount After Cooling (4 perc.): 46.18

Grain absorption rate is: 1.01 (L Per kg)

Evaporation rate is Liters Per Hour

This formulation will yield 46.18 liters of fermentable wort.

You will need 78.12 liters of water for the complete brewing session.

Great yeast if your bitterness is HIGH or you're adding sugar. It's a malty sweet low attenuator.

Tooheys New would taste brilliant if they used this yeast............maybe

tdh

Hi all,
Here is one I did with a bit of Cascade in it.
I used cascade after reading Daniels DGB.
The amounts I used only gave a very slight hint of fruityness and it was pretty popular at the 2006 big brew day at anthony macs.
IIRC Kai had one there as well on that day and his was straight NB hops and it was excellent.

You remember well, I read your recipe just now and thought it sounded familiar. I remember yours that day as our respective steams were pretty much on opposite ends of the BJCP guideline... mine was quite a big beer while yours was lighter and eminently quaffable. The Cascade did not shine through very strongly either and the beer was very clean. A few weeks later after mine had mellowed out a little it was remarkably similar to anchor steam in a side-by-side tasting with a few fellow bjcp'ers... just a bit bigger.

good memories :)

Good Day

I use the WLP810 (San Fran), which is the same Calf lager, for many malty lagers. Vienna, helles, Munich Dunkel, bock, maibock and doppelbock. Usually at 10-12+oC but it is forgiving. Gets slightly fruity/estery over 14/15oC IMHO. A very easy yeast to use but I give it 3 to 5+ weeks to ferment and don't have trouble with sulphur which some people have complained about re this yeast.
If you rely on cold temps in the garage and have no fridge this is the lager yeast for you again IMHO.
Hope this helps.

Good Day

I use the WLP810 (San Fran), which is the same Calf lager, for many malty lagers. Vienna, helles, Munich Dunkel, bock, maibock and doppelbock. Usually at 10-12+oC but it is forgiving. Gets slightly fruity/estery over 14/15oC IMHO. A very easy yeast to use but I give it 3 to 5+ weeks to ferment and don't have trouble with sulphur which some people have complained about re this yeast.
If you rely on cold temps in the garage and have no fridge this is the lager yeast for you again IMHO.
Hope this helps.

I was interested to read that about fermenting the California Common yeast at 10-12oC Barry.

My house quaffer is a 90% BB Pale, 10% Munich (and sometimes 1% Carahell) with W2112
I've got no temperature control other than on the concrete floor gets me around a 12-14oC ferment while on the bench gives me 14-16oC
I'd read Wyeasts recomendation This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation and tended to keep my ferment in the 14oC+ range - and the result is ok

How does it compare to the traditional lager yeasts at these temperatures - is it worthwhile dropping the ferment temperature down a bit ?

cheers, jaytee

Latest posts

Back