Steam Beer Problems?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk

Reaction score
Hi All,

just after some advice/2nd opinions etc. (sorry if its a long post)

i've had another go at a steam beer and not sure if i did something wrong (most likely knowing me). I followed a nice simple recipe and made a starter etc for the brew. All fermented well and racked after 5 days, transfered from the secondary to cold conditioning and left for 3 weeks.

tasting up till this point things where looking good and all was well. However now that its in the bottle it tastes like socks and cardboard. I would rather lick dirt then drink the stuff, its got a huge yeasty taste to it (its finally going away).

Now because i live in lovely hot darwin and i really can't keep the temp below 24-25 degrees during primary i'm wondering if thats where the taste has come from and its time to buy a temp control for a fridge or is there something more sinister at large ?? :huh:

any ideas or comments are welcome.

Bonk - I haven't had direct experience with the condition you talk about but a cardboard taste is apparently a symptom of oxidation.

Surely you must be able to scrounge a fridge from somewhere. I picked up one for nothing and stuck a $40 temp controller in it and have never looked back.

Thanks, yeah i had a feeling that was what was going on, was just after 2nd opinion.

And yeah, i need a fridge ASAP so i can keep my wild temps under some control. :)

Hell !

I have a steam beer in CC now !

Had a little taste and was nice :D

I don't want to lick the dirt , my dog sh#ts there ! :blink: :ph34r:

Hi Batz,

i think even that would taste better then what my Steam beer tastes like. Pretty sure i did something to it when i put it in the bottles or added the priming sugar (stirred to much ??) Might be the reason i get myself a keg ! :)

Maybe it's steamer beer

Bonk, I made a steam beer back in January. I kegged most of it and bottled some. The keg is almost complete and it was a nice beer but there is a slight cidery smell evident now. I opened one of the bottles and it tasted as you described. Definately oxidised. I put this down to the fact that I brewed it at a friends place and transported it home in the fermenter in my car, about 35kms.
I reckon it must have got splashed around a lot but because some went into the keg in the fridge it was slower to show oxidisation. Coincidental that its a steam beer too. <_<

C&B
TDA

Very interesting coincidence between TDA and bonk's steams. Maybe you both used the same batch of dodgy yeast?

Back