Steam Ales Finished A Bit High

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve78

Reaction score
Hi all, I am brewing two Steams and they finished at 1022 and 1020 FG respectively. I was expecting 1016 (same as brewing classic styles Cali Common), I used the Wyeast Cal Lager split the pack and did a step starter 1L to 2L then pitched at high krausen. I raised to 19 when they slowed at around 1025, and after 3 days (including mild swirling of the fermentor, no trub disturbance), they were not moving.

So, can I add a bit of water to bring them down to FG, or is this FG low enough?

Would appreciate advice, as none of my beers have ever finished that high.

Cheers,
Steve

Well its only a few points higher, so will just bottle it. I assume I didn't have enough yeast or used too much caramel malt.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it :)
Steve

What was the recipe? How much crystal is in there?

I wouldn't bottle, that shouldn't be close to FG - thats a recipe for bottle-bombs.

You could wait a bit more, or pitch some other yeast such as US05.

Full recipe and process (wort production, mashing temps etc) and full fermentation schedule please.
Don't bottle yet.
Check all your measuring equipment is working correctly ( thermometer, hydrometer etc) and if you are using a refractometer, make sure you are using a conversion chart/calculator.

Back