STC1000 Temp Probe Placement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, love the graphs. What app do you run on the raspberry pi. Im currently looking at craftbeerpi for the app. Im now trying to work out how to best connect my heat belt to the Solid State Relay so i can auto set my temp probe via the app.

The actual software has been written by my Dad, based on me telling him what I want it to be capable of. It's still a work in progress at this stage.

tumi2 said:
Mate, love the graphs. What app do you run on the raspberry pi. Im currently looking at craftbeerpi for the app. Im now trying to work out how to best connect my heat belt to the Solid State Relay so i can auto set my temp probe via the app.
Keep in mind that CraftBeerPi doesn't currently support fermentation control (I believe)
Pretty sure Manuel has said somewhere that he's looking at adding it some time down the track
Currently CraftBeerPi just controls AG brew rigs

[SIZE=11pt]Hi Kaiserben[/SIZE]
Love the graphs

Question, which probe controlled the fridge?

To me they show what I have thought, that comparing the oscillation of the wort temp to be within the oscillation of the ambient temp.
Due to the thermal mass of the wort.
Their for, you only need to control the ambient air and the wort will slowly follow behind.
If you put the the fridge controlled probe on or in the wort, by the time the wort hits the lower or upper limits, the lag time of the fridge to reverse the change would be greater, causing the oscillation of the wort temp to be greater.

Or am I dreaming because its to early to be drinking.

I've got the probe that's on the wort (and insulated from the air) controlling the fridge. (the green one).

In my settings I can make either probe do the controlling. In earlier brews I had tried it with the air temp sensor (blue) controlling the fridge, but quickly realised that if I wanted to chill down to yeast pitching temp, or crash chill etc, that, with the air temp swinging wildly by comparison and quickly passing my target temperature and the fridge turning off too often, the wort took too long reach target temps.

It would slowly follow behind, but far too slowly for me. I get far more control using the on-wort probe.

I've also got a delay setting that prevents the fridge cycling on/off too often (from memory it's same as BrewPi's setting of 5 mins after being on and 8 minutes after being off). In practice it's this setting that controls the oscillation of the actual wort temp.

The oscillation of the on-wort temp probe is barely +/-0.2C.

EDIT: After seeing how temperatures behave in a few different ferments, the blue probe is merely a curiosity and not really required anymore.

Back