Stc1000 Or Tempmate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRat

Reaction score
Ok, so it appears as though the first investment you need to make is in the fermentation area and controlling the temp.

There are lots of threads on this, however my questions is why hasnt someone made a unit that you can plug directly into the wall and plug your heater/fridge directly into the unit?

Why does everyone have to wire them up themselves?

Am i missing something?

BlackRat

Ok, so it appears as though the first investment you need to make is in the fermentation area and controlling the temp.

There are lots of threads on this, however my questions is why hasnt someone made a unit that you can plug directly into the wall and plug your heater/fridge directly into the unit?

Am i missing something?

BlackRat
THey are around, or at least used to be, I haven't checked in a while, but they cost a lot more.
Also not sure if there were heating and cooling ones, I only remember cooling ones.

Am i missing something?

BlackRat

I've got a ready wired (factory wired) fridge controller with a stainless steel probe $60 and it's yours (plus postage), they are worth about $100 from memory. I've been gonig to advertise it for a while. I can get a pic tonight.

QldKev

Am i missing something?

BlackRat

There are a couple of guys on eBay selling them already wired and boxed, but its much cheaper to do it yourself.

You can pick up a complete thermostat for $126 at any of our Brewers Choice stores or on line at:

http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...hermostats.html

These thermostats are ready to go, made in Australia and carry a CE/C tick approval, making it legal.

If you don't want to deal with the electrics yourself, this is a good option.

Brewers_Choice_Thermostat.jpg

Am i missing something?
I believe that if they were sold pre-wired, the whole kit would need the 'electrical tick' and approval from various authorities etc.
Selling them as individual modules - I presume - makes them significantly cheaper (and you can also buy them on Ebay/overseas).

While I do not mean to comment on DIY wiring with 240V, I do suspect the majority of home-brewers would be much more likely to buy the cheaper DIY option than the 'electrically approved' pre-built controllers.

I've got a ready wired (factory wired) fridge controller with a stainless steel probe $60 and it's yours (plus postage), they are worth about $100 from memory. I've been gonig to advertise it for a while. I can get a pic tonight.

QldKev

Sold!

You can pick up a complete thermostat for $126 at any of our Brewers Choice stores or on line at:

http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...hermostats.html

These thermostats are ready to go, made in Australia and carry a CE/C tick approval, making it legal.

If you don't want to deal with the electrics yourself, this is a good option.

This only has the ability to control 1 external device (fridge OR belt/mat) not BOTH fridge AND belt/mat.

Plus its only analogue.

HOWEVER i do like the pre-wired, good to go, simply plug it in type deal.

The reason i asked the original question is because im not an expert in wiring electronics, and with a young child in the house, the girlfriend wouldn't let me play Tim the tool man with our safety.

I would rather pay a bit extra to know its fail safe and that all i need to do is plug it in, giving me more time to be an expert at drinking beer!

I guess in the winter months (torquay, vic here) i dont need cooling, just one of the heating element type things to help regulate the temp.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853

Comments?

BlackRat.

This only has the ability to control 1 external device (fridge OR belt/mat) not BOTH fridge AND belt/mat.

Plus its only analogue.

HOWEVER i do like the pre-wired, good to go, simply plug it in type deal.

The reason i asked the original question is because im not an expert in wiring electronics, and with a young child in the house, the girlfriend wouldn't let me play Tim the tool man with our safety.

I would rather pay a bit extra to know its fail safe and that all i need to do is plug it in, giving me more time to be an expert at drinking beer!

I guess in the winter months (torquay, vic here) i dont need cooling, just one of the heating element type things to help regulate the temp.

Comments?

BlackRat.

That element is for boiling wort. Not what you want for warming fermenting beer.

If you need to raise the temp of your beer I'd suggest a brew belt which wraps around your fermenter. Good idea to use a fermetor thermowell to measure the wort temperature too

http://www.beerbelly.com.au/ferment.html

Comments?
Buy one of the digital controllers and approach a local electrician to wire it up for you.

Brew-belts, heat mats, or even a light-globe (inside a ceramic pot) can be used to heat the fridge in winter.

You are from Torquay? Come to the next Corio Bay Brewers meeting in Belmont and I will show you how to wire one up. Pretty much all of us have them and wired them up ourselves. Send me a PM and I will email you the details

I live in Queensland, heating is not an issue so only cooling is required to keep it constant.

Connecting up a STC1000 is pretty simple and very cheap, USD$22 with free delivery off ebay, $12 for an IP 66 box (you can drop it into your wort nearly) plus another 6 for grommets, away you go.

A little more expensive than a thermostat but you have the control.
Has to be good :D

Am i missing something?

BlackRat

You can buy a complete unit from Keg King for about $60-$70. Can't remember exactly how much now but they do sell them.

Back