STC replacement probe - Waterproof

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt

Reaction score
Hey all, I have done some looking around, but cant find an easy solution.

I would like to hook my HLT up to my STC-1000, but would like to have the probe submerged in the Water. I am not 100% convinced that the stock probe is water-proof and would like to replace it with one that is.

Do any of you guys use a replacement probe on the STC? Is anyone running the STC with their HLT that would like to give me some advice or tips?

I have had a look on ebay and there is plenty of water-proof probes, but Im not sure if they are compatible with the STC.

ps. I have a 30Lt Plastic Bucket for my HLT with a kettle element. A thermowell is not an option.

Cheers and Beers!

I used a standard STC probe just being dropped over the side of my HLT for years.

Check with Ross for this one

But otherwise any NTC 10K ohm one will do the job.
This one is nice and short but the postage is the killer, but I guess still not a bad price.
You could use this one with a compression fitting

I always found, when compared to a calibrated mercury thermometer, that the STC-1000 to be not so reliable at temps higher than 50C.
However, there are many on here that regularly utilise them for the mash and/or HLT without problem. Am I missing something? I have three STC's purchased over a 4 year period from three different suppliers that behave the same way at high temps but are perfect at lower temps..

NewtownClown said:
I always found, when compared to a calibrated mercury thermometer, that the STC-1000 to be not so reliable at temps higher than 50C.
However, there are many on here that regularly utilise them for the mash and/or HLT without problem. Am I missing something? I have three STC's purchased over a 4 year period from three different suppliers that behave the same way at high temps but are perfect at lower temps..

I found mine were out compared to my calibration thermometer at my calibration temperature of 66c, but I did find it to be consistent so I could adjust the temp offset on them.

QldKev said:
I found mine were out compared to my calibration thermometer at my calibration temperature of 66c, but I did find it to be consistent so I could adjust the temp offset on them.
Cheers Kev.
Will have to try that...

I have had the stock supplied sesnsor in a bottle of water/metho mix, in my, fermenting freezer,for 2 years and still ok.
Waterproof for sure.

QldKev said:
Double check it with the supplier. It says NTC but has 3 wires. I didn't know NTC had an option for a compensating line?
Also that particular unit is RT20, you need 10K ohm (RT10)
Dangit, I should have noticed that
I'll flick them an email and see if they do the same style in 10K and if there are enough people wanting them, I'll organise a bulk buy
If not, I'll just grab these
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-5pcs-lot-NTC-10K-10K-1-3435-Thread-probe-Waterproof-Temperature-Temp-Sensor-Probe/807637017.html

Or one of these
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/909774483/_ISO9001_2008_Temperature_Measuring_Probe.html

Back