STC 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maheel said:
plenty throw the stc probe into the fermenter

or you could make a thermo well out of a bit of plastic tube to cover the probe and wire and drop it in.
$24.60 for a purpose-built stainless thermowel with grommet from BeerBelly, delivered...

Well I WAS doing alright last night, wired up my 12V STC-1000...no problems at all (apart from a flat battery drill and a busted finger from broken plastic) and even a 15min test which it just plugged into a light to make sure it worked without blowing something up (I would rather it fry a lamp than my fridge) worked perfectly. It was only when I had my beer in the fermenter and yeast pitched already did the 12V power supply fail (flash and crack!!!) and I was left with a non fuctional temp controller and a fridge with beer ready to ferment in it.

Lets just say I was not having a fun night since this was at about 9pm. Fridge is now set on the warmest and I hope and pray it sits on something the yeast and work with.

I'm just glad my STC-1000 is fine and my wiring wasn't the problem...just the stupid ebay power supply <_<

my two stc 1000 builds

Image0251.jpg

Image0252.jpg

Image0259.jpg

I just ordered one of these also, can you please let me know when you receive yours so that I know rough arrival time? Thanks!
:D

If anyone in the albury area needs help setting a temp controller up let me know. I'm new here and to brewing, but I'm a sparky and a fridgey. My setup with an STC-1000 is working a treat. Happy to help out with the hardware for tips on brewing.

tricache said:
Well I WAS doing alright last night, wired up my 12V STC-1000...no problems at all (apart from a flat battery drill and a busted finger from broken plastic) and even a 15min test which it just plugged into a light to make sure it worked without blowing something up (I would rather it fry a lamp than my fridge) worked perfectly. It was only when I had my beer in the fermenter and yeast pitched already did the 12V power supply fail (flash and crack!!!) and I was left with a non fuctional temp controller and a fridge with beer ready to ferment in it.

Lets just say I was not having a fun night since this was at about 9pm. Fridge is now set on the warmest and I hope and pray it sits on something the yeast and work with.

I'm just glad my STC-1000 is fine and my wiring wasn't the problem...just the stupid ebay power supply <_<
If the fridge is getting too cold for fermentation you can get a timer and plug the fridge into it and have it come "on" every so often to just keep the fermenter cool.
You will need a thermometer so you can muck around with the timer until you get it close.
It wont be accurate control but it will get you by until you get another power supply :icon_cheers:

I've been using my stc1000 with my single vessel brew rig for a while now with no problems, until today. Worked perfectly for the whole brew & I unplugged it during the boil as it was no longer required.

I usually then hook it up to my fridge to take care of fermentation. Plugged it in & get the error 'EE' and a long beeeeeeeeeeep

I've checked the instructions & am trying to make sense of the broken english. From what I can tell it says it must have an open sensor or short circuit. I opened her up to check if the wiring was fried but everything looks exactly as it did the day I wired it up.

Anyone else had this problem? How'd ya fix it?

TheCarbinator said:
All jokes aside, I do have a problem with my new STC 1000 though.

It keeps over cooling and kicks in the heating function (I have a heat pad stuck to the inside of the chesty).

Yes I do have the probe in a two litre bucket of water.

No I haven't searched for another thread due to it not working since the upgrade.

I had it set at 18c with 1 degree tolerance and then I changed the tolerance to 0.3c and it is still doing it.

The compressor delay is set to 10 mins.

I have taped the probe to the side of the fermenter tonight with a piece of insulation over it so I will see how that goes.

My theory is that the freezer is so efficient that the ice on the inside walls continues to cool after the compressor has been switched off.

I am thinking of installing a fan so that the ice will not form so much and the temp will be more even.

Opinions???
Leave the probe dangling in the bottom of freezer with a 10 min compressor dealy and TWO degrees differential, you won't have a problem.

The reason for overshoot is it won't turn off until the water bath is at the set temperature, in the meantime you 'air' is way cooler. In my experience with temperature controllers over the last seven years, leaving the probes dangling near the bottom of fidge or freezer works out best.

-=Steve=-

I have my probe insulated with an old stubby holder I cut up, and taped to the side of the fermenter. I have switches on the stc1000 that allows me to turn off either the heat or the cool outputs. Set at 18ºc with 1º differential. Seems to work a treat. The heat is switched off. Doesn't drop much below 18ºc, gets up to 19º but not a problem. Fridge holds temp well so compressor doesn't work hard.

breakbeer said:
I've been using my stc1000 with my single vessel brew rig for a while now with no problems, until today. Worked perfectly for the whole brew & I unplugged it during the boil as it was no longer required.

I usually then hook it up to my fridge to take care of fermentation. Plugged it in & get the error 'EE' and a long beeeeeeeeeeep

I've checked the instructions & am trying to make sense of the broken english. From what I can tell it says it must have an open sensor or short circuit. I opened her up to check if the wiring was fried but everything looks exactly as it did the day I wired it up.

Anyone else had this problem? How'd ya fix it?
stc 1000 makes that noise etc when sensor is not connected. get a multimeter and check that you dont have a broken wire in your sensor

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the sensor cable & all seems to be fine. Where the cable meets the probe is very slightly loose, which I've never noticed before, so maybe the problem is inside the probe :(

Might be time for a new probe

bowhunterslodge said:
so can you set it to sit around 1 or 2 degrees? what setting /temp do you set for your kegs,cheers pat
You can set it at any temperature, you just need to play around with the setting until you get it running at the temperature you want. I have a 700 litre westinghouse freezer converted that I am in the process of setting up as my new kegerator and I am running at about 2.0 degrees for my kegs.

Keg King in Melbourne now sell these in a 10amp model and a 16amp model
anyone interested should look them up www.kegking.com.au
reasonably priced not sure on post if your interstate

cheers

breakbeer said:
Thanks for the reply. I've checked the sensor cable & all seems to be fine. Where the cable meets the probe is very slightly loose, which I've never noticed before, so maybe the problem is inside the probe :(

Might be time for a new probe
Did you check it with a multimeter like suggested or did you just look at it? A multimter will tell you if there is a broken wire inside that you cant see.

Brought it into work today so the sparkies can run a multimeter over it

Back