Stc 1000 Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beermeupscotty said:
It's fun learning and having a go yourself (although potentially risky, I guess) but I'd be tempted to do this next time too.

!6A... that's just the potential yeah? It'd still work for regular 10A systems?
Ha Ha here's me offering advice on electrical components whilst under the influence of a larger than usual amount of alcohol. Hic.

I've admired these controllers before but never noticed the ampage. Perhaps someone more experienced could offer advice. (oh, the irony....) ;)

I did enjoy wiring up my STC 1000 and got a sense of accomplishment from it, although if I hadn't stumbled across a wonderfully simplified diagram on AHB (attached) then I'd still be sat looking at the instructions and scratching my head!

elitech wiring.jpg

beermeupscotty said:
It's fun learning and having a go yourself (although potentially risky, I guess) but I'd be tempted to do this next time too.

!6A... that's just the potential yeah? It'd still work for regular 10A systems?
Yes it still works. You are correct in saying it's the "potential"(maximum).
When it comes to this sort of thing I like to compare it to a manual car.
Can I do 70km per hour in second gear?
Should I?
Is 3rd gear more suited?

Something that is rated 16A won't have to work close to its limits and should therefore perform more efficiently and a longer life span...

The odd thing about those units is they are supplied with a 10A socket. Anything with a plug that suits should only be able to draw 10A max. As soon as you were to change the socket you're dodgying it up anyway so I'm yet to understand why they're advertised as 16A.

The Brewmart price is reasonable for a wired up/enclosed STC-1000, though you could do it yourself for around half that.
The Grain and Grape price is outrageous!

Cheers for the replies!

Crakkers said:
The Brewmart price is reasonable for a wired up/enclosed STC-1000, though you could do it yourself for around half that.
The Grain and Grape price is outrageous!
I just don't trust myself to wire it up, even though it seems pretty simple.

Beer Ninja said:
I was told the Keg King controllers were inferior in quality to an STC-1000. (funnily enough it was by someone doing a brew demo at Grain and Grape) Maybe I've been misinformed?

$70 is a good price for a well wired up STC-1000

I would recommend the STC-1000 over the keg king, even if they were the same price...

I have 2 of the Keg King ones, One for my herms and the other for my temp control on my fridge. When i bought my herms unit I tested both my keg king ones against a glass medical thermometer, and both where spot on.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up ordering the STC-1000 from Brewmart.

Hi,
Could someone please tell me where to buy the 240v relay. I want to wire them after the stc.
Many thanks.

Too many discrepancies with regards to STC 1000 wiring diagrams floating about. Found a nice one on the Cooper's forum and found confirmation here which is pleasing. Way way too many abysmal Youtube demos with incredibly shonky solutions - many just gave me the heebee jeebees.

Have just finished my build, into the casing of an old aquarium air-pump. The casing (because it was there and about to be thrown out) saved me a trip to Jaycar, provided limitations a shelf bought jiffy box would not have placed upon me and forced some decision making. The bakelite 3-way terminal block (foreground) was salvaged from an old Argusy aircraft. I chose the P4003 switch / power socket unit because it is fused (which made me a tad more comfortable). Spade terminals used throughout, wire salvaged / stripped from old computer power cables. End of air-pump outlet used to tidy cables (mid ground). I neglected to source and appropriate fuse so haven't tested it yet. It will run a Westinghouse WRM1300WC

happy everything

P1060350.jpg

which seller are people buying from atm?

barls said:
which seller are people buying from atm?
Depends if you need to hack it for temperature ramping as per the STC 1000+ project.

If not any eBay seller will do.

Haciluku said:
Hi,
Could someone please tell me where to buy the 240v relay. I want to wire them after the stc.
Many thanks.
Why do you need a 240V relay after the STC? The STC does the switching.

STC wired directly to compressor?

I thought I would throw the question in here first.

Its a bit of a refrigeration type question more than electrical. I have a Euro-grand style kegerator which I want to use as both a kegerator and fermentation fridge. I am about to wire in the STC-1000 controller for fermentation but do not want to have it switching the overall power to the fridge on and off as it has a temp display on the front which I want to continuously run and it beeps when it is turned on (annoying in the small apartment I live in). My plan would be to use the STC controller to just switch power to the compressor however my knowledge of refrigeration is non existent. So my question is whether this is the only part of the fridge which controls the cooling or are there other parts that need to be switched on and off with it? I will also be putting in a bypass so I can switch off the controller when being used as a kegerator.

and before anyone says it, I have searched through the volumes of info on the STC wiring threads. The info might be in there somewhere but I haven't found it.
Hi, Im looking to do the exact same thing with my euro grande kegerator and an stc 1000. How did you go? Im a bit lost on how to wire directly to the compressor

Latest posts

Back