Stc 1000 Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently bought a stc-1000 off ebay, wired it all up and the had a sparky check it over to make sure I wasn't going to fry myself. On Monday I plugged it in and it was working perfectly until yesterday when I moved the unit to a different location. When I plug it in now it no longer seems to switch the fridge on when above my set temp, even though the cooling light is flashing on the display and the probe is working accurately. I opened it up and rechecked all the wires, none were loose, and plugged the fridge in without the controller and that works fine too. Any ideas what could be the problem? Don't go too deep on the terminology, as I have very little idea about electronics.

Cheers

Hi guys,
I recently bought a stc-1000 off ebay, wired it all up and the had a sparky check it over to make sure I wasn't going to fry myself. On Monday I plugged it in and it was working perfectly until yesterday when I moved the unit to a different location. When I plug it in now it no longer seems to switch the fridge on when above my set temp, even though the cooling light is flashing on the display and the probe is working accurately. I opened it up and rechecked all the wires, none were loose, and plugged the fridge in without the controller and that works fine too. Any ideas what could be the problem? Don't go too deep on the terminology, as I have very little idea about electronics.

Cheers

YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM HERE AR ALL!!! If the cooling light is flashing that means the compressor delay protector is working. Go to settings under F4 I think - maybe F3 and check the compressor delay time. It is set to 3 mins by default. Thsi means that whenever cooling is required if it has not been at least 3 mins since cooling was used (or its the first time cooling is needed since you have switcjhed the unit on) then there will be a 3 minuite delay. I have mine set to 5 min delay. This protects your frdige from being swiotched on and off quickly which can damage your complressor.

The unit is working for you as designed.

Thanks for the quick respones, I'm a goose. Thought the flashing meant the unit was in cooling mode and the fridge should be on, not the compressor delay in action which I did set at 9 mins.

Thanks

Hi all. First post. Don't shoot me down!!

I have recently purchased, wired and used the stc1000. I used this forum and others as a guide for the wiring so thanks. It is currently running a heater belt, and as it is currently colder in the garage than the beer set point, I don't need anything on the cooling side.
BUT
I have noticed a potential problem, as follows:
Parameter F3 is programmed to 0. Every thing works fine. Heat comes on and off as expected. Cool comes on and off as expected without delay.
Power the device off and on again using the button on the front. Still no problems.
Disconnect Power from the device and then back on again. The cooling won't come on. The display flashes as when the cooling is under compressor delay. But wait.....I had that set to zero. I check the setting for F3 and the display contains no value whatsoever. I have to set the value again to zero and then the cooling comes on and the device works as expected. I contacted the eBay supplier and explained and they sent a replacement free of charge. I still have the first one as it was in use on a batch. The new one does the same thing!

Is this a known issue or "feature" or am I extremely unlucky?. I have not waited to see if it comes good on its own. One of the first threads in this topic (I think) suggests there may be a anti-short delay.
Any thoughts???

I took a video of the problem to send to the supplier to demonstrate but the file was too big to upload to the email . perhaps I'll try you tube it

Brad,

I also have the STC1000. I will give you my best shot. I suspect it is getting confused, for whatever reason, because the F3 value is programmed to zero. I have that value set to 4 or 5 minutes so that it can protect the fridge from too frequently starting. A delay via the F3 parameter (ie waiting the specified time) acts as a sort of buffer.

My STC waits the F3 set time until it turns the cold switch on, but immediately starts the hot switch without waiting. I am not sure if this is right or otherwise, it has always worked that way and it doesn't make any difference to me because it is starting a heat mat that is located in the fridge (not immediately under the fermenter but close).

Bump the F3 value up to say 4 and see what happens. Suspect it will fix the problem. I don't think you are extremely unlucky....to be honest I would suggest it is the set up on F3.

Hey ajs. Thanks for reply

I set the f3 delay to 1 min. Everything is fine. Cooling operated as expected Fter the delay.
Disconnect power and back again. Cooling delay light is flashing now for a few minutes. The f3 value is blank (ie none of the segments of the last led digit are illuminated) and I need to reset it to a value before the cooling function works.

After my first message I waited longer than 10 mins to see if it would fix itself. It didn't.

Can you (or anyone) unplug (cut power) theirs and see if they have the same problem when powered on again?

Oh, one other thing that I just remembered. Forgive me if I am asking a dumb question here, but when you change a parameter, say time on the F3 function, do you press the on/off switch (ie the top left hand button) to effectively enter the data? If you don't it just forgets the data you had entered and goes back to the original setting. In your case that would be back to zero again. Worth asking just in case.

I checked with my STC, switched it on, ran it for a while, then cut the power as you describe. No problems. In fact, we have lost power and when I turned it back on there were no dramas.

Sorry mate, I am out of suggestions now. Over to the crew from here.

Anthony

Hey Anthony, Yes I exit the setup menu after changing the settings correctly by pressing the on/off switch.

The device works correctly per the settings until it has lost power.

Thanks for trying!!

Any ideas how to contact the actual manufacturer, rather than the eBay onsellers?

Don't you save the settings by pressing the set button below the on/off button once?

I've cut power to my shed a few times and when I've reconnected all my stc's resume cooling or heating. Maybe it's the brand of stc? Got a link to the seller?

0min compressor delay for functional testing purposes. I have a light or fan plugged in to that (whatever's handy) to show that the output has switched.

OK - I have put a very poorly executed video on YouTube to show the problem.

It ended a bit abruptly as the phone went flat

Last edited by a moderator:
Yob said:
F1 = Ferment temps of your choosing
F2 = 0.5'c
F3 = 5 min
F4 = 0

I have my F2 @ 1c. Trying to minimise the load on the fridge and the power bill.

If I set it to .5c will it improve my beer? Home brewing is never gonna be good on the power bill.

Brad

Have you waited for a while after you power off/on for the cooling light to stop flashing and then check what the reading is for F3?
I use several of these and they all have the same feature......
Usually the cooling function will turn on again at its user-set temp after the max 9 min delay, after a power failure, to prevent overloading
the compressor in case something/someone repeatedly turns the power on/off and the fridge is forced to start/stop without a suitable delay
This is how my 4 STC's work

cheers

nosco said:
I have my F2 @ 1c. Trying to minimise the load on the fridge and the power bill.
If I set it to .5c will it improve my beer? Home brewing is never gonna be good on the power bill.
Setting at 1'c means you can get a 2'c range.. I prefer to minimise the temp swings with a lower range. It's not as though it's going to be cycling much, takes s while to raise the temp again, especially toward the end.. It's at the pitch, growth, early ferment that a stable temp is the most critical

Latest posts

Back