Stc 1000 In Pictures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Note:
If the STC 1000 will be connected to a power-point and used to control a Fridge, HLT or similar, it is a legal requirement in Australia to have qualified tradesperson or a licensed electrician wire such a device.
240V and 240V appliances can be very dangerous, it is not a good idea to attempt to wire them yourself.

STC 1000 ($20 Ebay), enclosure (click-storage container $2.50 Coles), 3 point terminal block ($1 for 12 point Ebay), 3x PG11 cable glands ($6 for 20 Ebay), 2x 3m extension cords ($3 ea Kmart):
stc1000_1-1.jpg

(Jiffy-type boxes also work very well as enclosure.)

Use step-bit to drill holes in enclosure for cable glands, drill hole for temperature probe:
stc1000_2-1.jpg

(If not using cable glands, drill holes the same size as the cable and use cable-ties on either side for tension-relief)

Cut out mounting hole for STC 1000:
stc1000_3-1.jpg

Cut cords, strip wires:
stc1000_4-1.jpg

Fit cable glands & slide cord through, attach wires to terminal block:
This (and the next few steps) is where you need the qualified electrician, do not DIY this, especially if you are unsure about the circuit diagram.
stc1000_5-1.jpg

Fit to STC 1000:
stc1000_6.jpg

Ensure there is no tension on internal wires, make things look neat, tighten cable glands, use cable-ties for tension-relief on temperature probe:
stc1000_7.jpg

Label plugs, tape enclosure closed:
stc1000_8.jpg

Using the STC 1000:
Power on using top left button.
Hold 'S' button for 3 seconds to enter setup mode:

Press 'up' or 'down' to select setting to adjust.
Hold 'S' and use 'up' or 'down' button to adjust setting.
Press power button to confirm setting.

F1: Temperature setting.
F2: Difference value.
F3: Delay time.
F4: Temperature calibration.

Can you please provide the ebay supplier name for the cable glads. Cannot find at that price.
EDIT: sitedv88 is the seller name

R

Note:
If the STC 1000 will be connected to a power-point and used to control a Fridge, HLT or similar, it is a legal requirement in Australia to have qualified tradesperson or a licensed electrician wire such a device.
240V and 240V appliances can be very dangerous, it is not a good idea to attempt to wire them yourself.

STC 1000 ($20 Ebay), enclosure (click-storage container $2.50 Coles), 3 point terminal block ($1 for 12 point Ebay), 3x PG11 cable glands ($6 for 20 Ebay), 2x 3m extension cords ($3 ea Kmart):
stc1000_1-1.jpg

(Jiffy-type boxes also work very well as enclosure.)

Use step-bit to drill holes in enclosure for cable glands, drill hole for temperature probe:
stc1000_2-1.jpg

(If not using cable glands, drill holes the same size as the cable and use cable-ties on either side for tension-relief)

Cut out mounting hole for STC 1000:
stc1000_3-1.jpg

Cut cords, strip wires:
stc1000_4-1.jpg

Fit cable glands & slide cord through, attach wires to terminal block:
This (and the next few steps) is where you need the qualified electrician, do not DIY this, especially if you are unsure about the circuit diagram.
stc1000_5-1.jpg

Fit to STC 1000:
stc1000_6.jpg

Ensure there is no tension on internal wires, make things look neat, tighten cable glands, use cable-ties for tension-relief on temperature probe:
stc1000_7.jpg

Label plugs, tape enclosure closed:
stc1000_8.jpg

Using the STC 1000:
Power on using top left button.
Hold 'S' button for 3 seconds to enter setup mode:

Press 'up' or 'down' to select setting to adjust.
Hold 'S' and use 'up' or 'down' button to adjust setting.
Press power button to confirm setting.

F1: Temperature setting.
F2: Difference value.
F3: Delay time.
F4: Temperature calibration.

Great instructional Wolfy. Love the ghetto jiffy box. :D

Very good informative post :icon_cheers: have to see if we have any cable glands at work

id suggest a better enclosure and a bit more, a curious child could quite easily pop that lid and stick their hand in their.
there are standards for electrical work in australia for good reasons, to keep people safe and alive.

+1

A suitable adaptable box or similar is only around $5 from Masters/Electrical Wholesaler and is more suitable for the job. They are secured with 4 screws and usually have a seal making them splash proof (or waterproof if you want to pay a bit extra).

Cheers

I install mine in a cheap $7 project box from jaycar.. Screwed tight no worry of kids getting their hands on it and its cheap. if your spending oney on the cable glands why not get a box a suit :)

edit added pic.

gallery_9889_466_70901.jpg

They are the cheapest still, and the ones I got. Not worth worrying about another dollar savings anyway. The STC1000 I founf cheapest for AU$19.93 delivered at:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STC-1000-Digita...=item48452f87c4

Wolfy is getting pretty good at these instructional picture threads!

But Wolfy.....I see no stainless in this build.....what's going on???? :)

I install mine in a cheap $7 project box from jaycar.. Screwed tight no worry of kids getting their hands on it and its cheap. if your spending oney on the cable glands why not get a box a suit :)

edit added pic.

gallery_9889_466_70901.jpg

+1 for these jaycar jiffy boxes. I also fitted a low profile double powerpoint on the side of this jaycar one, that way I can also plug a fan and be able to turn it on and off for my keg fridge

I also have one that controls my Herms and have the brown pump plugged into the side, so its easy to turn on and off

If you cant get the cable glands, make sure you drill the hole size for the cable to be a tight fit, the use a medium cable tie either side of the of the hole and pull tight. Work the same as a gland to stop you puling the cable and wires out of the box.

I have used in many time when to secure cable but could not get a gland .

I just tie a knot in my cable on the inside so you can't pull it.

If you cant get the cable glands, make sure you drill the hole size for the cable to be a tight fit, the use a medium cable tie either side of the of the hole and pull tight. Work the same as a gland to stop you puling the cable and wires out of the box.

I have used in many time when to secure cable but could not get a gland .

My kids have finished high-school so are into much more dangerious things than opening clear boxes with wires inside. ;)
But of course the jiffy-type box a 'better' way to go, I just like being able to see inside (and it means I don't have to go out and buy one), in regard to the cable glands, it was heaps cheaper to buy 20 so I did, else I'd have used cable-ties. :)

MMMM.....make me thinks that I should go and buy a box from TLE and any one who wants some, send me the money and a stamped self adressed bubble bag. Work out about $1 each

What timing! I just had an STC1000 arrive the other week and was planning to wire it up later this week, so this thread is invaluable. Thanks!!

Nice one Wolfy, just what I needed
Last time a sparky charged me $90, so this time I'd like to wire it myself & just get it checked & approved by a qualified sparky, or test & tagged at work

What would it take for a qualified sparky to knock these up and sell them on here? Surely someone here is qualified?

Yep a good solid enclosure is the go and the cabel glands are better than tying knots.

+1

A suitable adaptable box or similar is only around $5 from Masters/Electrical Wholesaler and is more suitable for the job. They are secured with 4 screws and usually have a seal making them splash proof (or waterproof if you want to pay a bit extra).

Cheers

Now Nick I am sure I still have a certain photo of a certain fridgemate installation around somewhere when a certain person had a brewday at Kingaroy. Ah those were the days. B)

Gav

Back