Stc-1000 Help/advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielscott26

Reaction score
Hey Guys

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advice on a stc-1000 or temp controller. I have an old fridge downstairs that i could use but i really have no idea how i would wire a temp controller up. Ive seen pre-wired ones for sale but there well over $100. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic I would really prefer to buy one that i can just plug the fridge into and away i go instead of building a housing and wiring it up like people are doing on youtube.
The weathers already starting to warm up and ive just started doing all grain so i think its definitely time to look into it.
I would also like to be able to run the fridge as normal when im not fermenting beer so Im sure i just disconnect the temp controller is this correct?

Thanks for your help Guys

Temp control is not cheap unless you can wire it up yourself (and get it checked properly before you use it !!!)
I've had good success with a temp mate for the fermentation fridge and an STC-1000 for the dispensing fridge.
I'd get another STC-1000 without hesitation.

Brewers choice has an off the shelf one available at a premium price but I don't think it does heating. Cooling only.....
http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...ers-choice.html

Hey mate,

This is the best guide I've found.

http://free-beer-recipes.blogspot.com.au/2...ow-to-wire.html

It requires you to wire it into a jiffy box, but it's great because you simply plug in your components (fridge/heat belt etc) when you want to use it.

If you don't know what your doing get it checked by an electrician before using it.

Peace.

+1

I have an STC-1000 setup like this as my backup also have a couple hardwired in to fridges and freezers.

If you are up Brissy way let me know and I can help you out.

Thanks for the advice guys im down on the gold coast but may end up taking you up on your offer of help i have absolutely no idea when it comes to electrical stuff and its not really something i feel like mucking around with and getting wrong. Il speak to one of the fridge repair guys we get into fix our fridges at work and see what he would charge me to wire it up. Or i just mite have to bite the bullet and buy a pre wired one.
One other question do i need to have a heat belt or pad inside the fridge or is it not necessary.

That controller from Brewers Choice can be had a lot cheaper from some green house suppliers. It was about $100 from memory.

Also a few use these controllers I believe they work ok, but do have a certain failure rate. Have a search on here, I can't remember the best search terms; maybe someone can link to some of the threads for you.

Ok so ive emailed keg king for a price on the wired 16amp temp controller if it is around the $70 mark then il order one for sure.
Does everyone here run a heat source like a heating belt inside the fridge i thought my main concern would be keeping the temp down as i thought the outside temp would stop it getting too cold or is this wrong?
Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

If anyone uses the hong kong ebay temp controllers could you let me know what you think of them.

Thanks again for all the advise guys this forum has helped so much with my home brewing

One of my Chinese eBay ones broke down last week, after about 1 year use. 2nd is still going strong.
In winter the fermenter was dropping down past 15degC overnight as the nights got colder, so used a heat belt for a few weeks.

I have been using an stc1000 for a few months now, I can't fault it. its a pretty good bit of gear, its cheap too. I made mine up for $63 which I think isn't too bad. I just recently made up an extra one for myself and the father in law. if you need help and you feel like travelling to Brisbane just PM me.

Aydan

I have 4 of the Hong Kong ones. I do keep a spare one all the time just in case. Never needed it though. For $23.99US delivered they are the way to go in my books. They usually take around 14 days to get here though.

Damn and they are on a special for $21.59

Hong Kong STC-1000

I do run a heat pad in my fermenting fridge as outside here at night we have been getting down to 4deg and that would not be good for my little baby sugar eaters.

If you have any problems just let me know.

I do keep a spare one all the time just in case.

Yep me too... keeping a spare 1 or 3 is a great idea in case things go pear shaped at the wrong time..

wish I had a spare thermometer though as I broke mine on the weekend, naturally it's the one I use to calibrate the STC's <_<

Yob

Hey mate,

This is the best guide I've found.

http://free-beer-recipes.blogspot.com.au/2...ow-to-wire.html

It requires you to wire it into a jiffy box, but it's great because you simply plug in your components (fridge/heat belt etc) when you want to use it.

If you don't know what your doing get it checked by an electrician before using it.

Peace.

Looks like that blog has been deleted? Don't suppose you saved the info someplace?

Yep me too... keeping a spare 1 or 3 is a great idea in case things go pear shaped at the wrong time..

wish I had a spare thermometer though as I broke mine on the weekend, naturally it's the one I use to calibrate the STC's <_<

Yob

Yeah, I dropped my thermometer in to the mash the other day! Phew still works. Can't say the same for my scales that just decided to go crazy while weighing hops.

Watch this youtube video it shows you how to do it all. This is the one that I found most helpful make sure you watch it all the way to the end as he has images of his wiring diagram and schematics.

Last edited by a moderator:
slash22000 said:
Looks like that blog has been deleted? Don't suppose you saved the info someplace?
Due to a little wizardry I've extraced the files from the original 'How to wire it up' website. You can download them and run the web page on your computer 'locally'
The files are in a zip file and you'll need Wiinrar to extract them. If you haven't already got winrar you can download it free here:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

So, download the folder containing the website files from here:

DivShare File - Elitech Wiring Webpage.rar

Extract them to your computer desktop using winrar and open the folder - there will be two files in there. Double click the file that shows your web browser icon and the website will load locally on your computer, images and all. Double click the images to enlarge them if need be.

Yob said:
..... or more locally with noting to save and open as it's all been done on this site

>HERE<
I'd no idea, my intentions were good, took me me over two hours to edit, upload set that info up.

Never mind :D

There used to be one good thread on these units, there are now dozens making it had to find the good info,

It'd be great if we could get it cleaned up at some point, merged, whatever..

Cheers

Back