STC-1000 - Avoiding fermentation overshoots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading about the 2 temp probe mod of the STC 1000+.

That looks like a cost effective way to prevent overshoot. The 2nd probe has a hysteresis setting which cuts out the heating/cooling if the ambient temp becomes to different to the wort temp.

Simmo1972 said:
Mine can be viewed at http://rednblue.ddns.net you can see where i must of turned it off by accident! I have a different address to access maintenance page.
Turns out from the logs that there was an error but because I can change online I changed it while on the train to work.
This was error:
Oct 06 2015 17:00:19 controller debug message: ERROR 10: Expected { got END OF INPUT

but soon sorted :)
Oct 07 2015 07:07:54 Setting profile 'Wheat!' as active profile
Oct 07 2015 07:07:54 Notification: Profile mode enabled

If you do go down the BrewPI route it looks like Tony will help and I will also point you to the Aussie ebay people I use. Will also point you to the places to change your BrewPi to have some security when accessed across the internet.

Simmo1972 said:
Mine can be viewed at http://rednblue.ddns.net you can see where i must of turned it off by accident! I have a different address to access maintenance page.

It gets it to the right temp quick and then holds it. When you ask it to start to ramp down it gradually does it so not to shock although you can crash and once saved it can be repeated.

My beer probe is against fermenter with bubble wrap and other is loose on fridge.

I use a light bulb in a tin for heat.

Good luck
Yeah, I'm game Simmo, lay it on us...

I have been googling a fair bit this evening and it seems like there are a number of options. The most compelling thus far is the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUme8oTLxs8

Mattrox said:
I have been reading about the 2 temp probe mod of the STC 1000+.

That looks like a cost effective way to prevent overshoot. The 2nd probe has a hysteresis setting which cuts out the heating/cooling if the ambient temp becomes to different to the wort temp.
Looks interesting... I am guessing you need to buy it modded? Or has someone done this DIY?

idzy said:
Looks interesting... I am guessing you need to buy it modded? Or has someone done this DIY?
Directions on how to do the DIY are on the stc 1000p github page.

Also you can download the sketch for dual probe functionality with your fermentation temp profiles preloaded from his web-based profile editor snd sketch generator, link on github site.

Problem solved. Why use 3 when you can mod 1. Will get it done when I have some time. Thanks gents

Mardoo said:
Be sure to get the right version Idzy. Source is in the STC-1000+ thread.
Cheers man, will check my current ones off against the literature and buy from there in the future.

Back