STC 1000 again.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
I have an STC 1000 on its way to control a fermenting fridge,my question is,is it a good idea to have ventilation for the controller box ( I'm thinking yes ) those of you who have them have you had any concerns regarding heat generated by the controller or have you added ventilation to help minimise the problem ?

i'm no electronic technician, but i would agree with you, I drilled holes on the top & sides of my junction box, but its a DIY job not sure how the ones you buy already wired up come when you purchase them? but as you would know electronics get hot, better to be safe then sorry i reckon.

Both of mine are self wired in jiffy boxes & tested & tagged by a sparkie. There's not really much going on in an STC 1000. A couple of relays controlled by a temp sensor through a small pcb controller.

Cheers all ,I will bung a vent or two in mine.

I use one to control mashing as well as the fridge. After the mash, when boiling, the heating element pulls the full 10amp capacity through the STC. I have mine in a fairly small box, and have had no issues. Vents will allow insects to make their home inside....

Matplat said:
I use one to control mashing as well as the fridge. After the mash, when boiling, the heating element pulls the full 10amp capacity through the STC. I have mine in a fairly small box, and have had no issues. Vents will allow insects to make their home inside....
My fermenting fridge will be in my shed which is locked / no ventilation until 4:30 each weekday so I'm concerned with no airflow.
I am planning to mount my stc in a small Jaycar box I have and sit it on top of the fridge,Im going to put some rubber feet on the bottom to stop it from moving when the fridge fires up and a hole in the bottom with some fly wire so the heat has some where to go,plus a side vent or 2 to help.
Being over cautious ? Maybe but so many electrical appliances get hot during use and I don't want my shed/ brewery to burn down,
so I'm going for piece of mind.
It'll make me feel better.
Insects ! The little feckers get in every where so I'll give the fridge top a zap with surface spray as I don't fumigate my shed because I have a family of Barking Geckos living in the wall cavity of the brew room.
Cheeky little buggers,every once in a while one of them will casually wander across the floor,stop and look me up and down,then wander off as if it owns the place.
The biggest must be a good 5 inches long with an attitude to match.

Seriously it's not required, i previously had my fermenting fridge in a shed that had no insulation in the middle of the day in summer it would have been hitting 50deg in there... no issues. I understand you will do what you are comfortable with, but just letting you know it isn't necessary.

Back